border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > General Boa Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-17-12, 10:45 AM   #1
jgarite

Unhappy Young Dum Boa hasn't eaten since Nov '11

I have a young dumerils boa, less than 1 year old (i think). He hasn't eaten since November of 2011. He continues to shed and occasionally drops a bomb (if you know what i mean), but won't eat. He was shipped to us in the cold weather, so we thought he was just hibernating.

It's been pretty warm now, and I've adjusted his tank to a smaller 10 gallon with safe bedding material (as opposed to nothing but title up to 2 months ago), gave him a nice hide (which he doesn't use - he burrows), and ensure his heat pad is around 85F. I provided a powersun lamp during the day because he's in the basement and it can get cold down there, so I use that to raise the ambient temperature to 85-95F. He has a water bowl. I spray the sides of the tank with some water, not much because I read up on the humidity and it should be around 20% (correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I've read).

I'm trying to feed him FT mice. I warm them by placing them under the heat lamp. I've even tried exposing the brain juices and blood. He begins to show interest, but will never take it. I've tried leaving it in the tank with him, right in front of him, and he won't eat it. Being in the basement, there's no foot traffic of any kind, so there's no distractions. three sides of his tank are blocked so he can't see out.

What else can I try???

Oh, he doesn't have mites or anything like that, we've checked and treated for it back in the winter....umm, I think I covered everything...The only thing we haven't tested him for is internal parasites...but I don't think he would still be shedding and lively if it was that.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Login to remove ads

Tags
dumeril's boa, feeding