sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-20-11, 09:10 PM   #11
jaleely
Member of the family

Re: Scuba diving

Oh i completely understand about the ear thing. I was surprised I could dive at all, actually. I had so many bad ear infections when i was a kid, and i have terrible equalization issues. I throw up half the time we go out on boats, from sea sickness, and i have thrown up multiple times under the water. That is a fun trick *lmao*

SO, we spend all this money, have been waiting ten years to go to Australia, and when we finally do...hubby gets sick...THEN he's better and I get sick...and i'm sick for the boat trip to the reef.
There were 14 dives on the trip and on the 12th dive, i get a reverse block 10 feet from the surface. I was down for 11 minutes trying to equalize...it was SO PAINFUL. I forced it once on Catalina Island and broke a blood vessel in my sinuses, bled and bled for a day, off and on, and then saw blood for the next two weeks if i blew my nose. It was horrible.

Okay so yeah, got a reverse block. The guides on the trip FLIPPED out, and granted, it made me pretty dizzy, and i was already sea sick. So they babied me, and i went to bed that night (it was a night dive). So the next day i pretend to be all better because i didn't want to miss out on our last two dives *lol* they flipped out and made me sign a paper that they had warned me i could blow out my eardrum, etc. all freaked out. I thought they would force me to stay on the boat, actually. I was all prepared to cry at them and give them waterworks *lol* I mean, it's the freakin great barrier reef!!! It's not like i'm there all the time! Once in a lifetime thing!

So I went on the morning dive anyway, and just stayed at 20 feet, no up and down. I did just fine. Actually would have missed out on seeing a juvenile dragon wrasse if i hadn't gone. He was soo cute!

So, the last dive, I finally admit that I'll stay out and just snorkel. Within 2 minutes they had undone my gear FOR me and took it all apart so I couldn't' dive *lol*
The snorkeling couldn't have been better though. I actually hate snorkeling because I always get water in my snorkel cuz i look around so much. IT was worth it though. Everything was so close to the surface! It was low tide, and the reef was in the daylight so everything was bright. Got right up next to a reef shark, and a bunch of other amazing fish. SO i hate being left out...my hubby has one more dive logged than me =P
27 snakes (7 sand boas, 4 hognose, 5 ball pythons, 1 bolivian boa, 2 dumeril's boas, 2 carpet pythons, 5 garters, 1 corn snake), 1 cave spider, 9 tarantulas, 1 tokay gecko, 2 dogs, 2 frogs, emperor scorpions 1,000 dubia roaches, & tons of fish.