border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Epicrates

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-26-10, 02:37 PM   #1
lovemyskittles

Mr. Skittles

I just recently purchased my first BRB and despite what I've read about them regarding their resistance to scale rot - mine has a very mild case of scale rot. Here's the kicker - took Mr. Skittles to the vet today (I did my research on vets in the area specializing in reptiles and he seemed to be a great candidate) Anyways, along with our new BRB we got another boa and so he was checking both, once he was done he said "We'll be right back" came back, w/o saying anything, grabbed my snake and gave it a shot of ivermectin!! Then he grabbed our other snake and did the same and said "I think they might have mites, make an appt. for 3 weeks for another treatment, this a slower acting form of the medicine and isn't as harmful" and walked out. His tech was still in the room and I asked "what does he want me to do about the scale rot?" "oh, he said it isn't bad" - that's it. No advice about what to do for it, no discussing if we wanted the shots for our snakes (WHICH WE DIDN'T!! we'd prefer to try other methods first since this apparently doesn't have the best reputation;also, only treated our other boa because the BRB appeared to have them - not because the other snake appeared to have them), and I thought I was going to feel better after leaving the vet but I only felt mad and very dissatisfied with my experience since he did not answer any of my questions and did not spend enough time with our snakes! - anyways, obviously not going to continue going to him but I need to know what I can do for my BRB to stop/help with the scale rot - I've read to put neosporin on the snake (without pain reliever) but anything else I should do?

Also, since BRBs need higher humidity than other snakes why did he get scale rot? His humidity has been kept between 75%-85% (he also had a humidity-hide w/moss in it) but these are humidity levels that everyone seems to say to keep them at.

I also have a question about cypress bedding - we've had the snake for about 10 days now and no sign of mites but Monday night I put cypress bedding into his enclosure and this morning when I took him out to go to the vet he had white flakes on him - (which I know is a sign of mites) - they looked and felt like grains of salt. He did not have any signs of mites before the bedding - could he have gotten mites from the bedding? Should I not use cypress bedding or should I bake it? If I shouldn't use that bedding what should I use for the BRB?

Sorry so long and so many questions. Thanks in advance for any advice!!
Login to remove ads

Tags
brazilian rainbow boa, brb, cypress, mites, scale rot