border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-25-09, 11:11 PM   #1
Sane

Send a message via AIM to Sane Send a message via MSN to Sane Send a message via Yahoo to Sane
Question New Burmese Python Owner Seeks Advice...

I am a 27 yr old female from the US, I have had alot of friends with snakes and learned a few things over the years, And have always wanted my own. Well I just bought a 8 ft Burmese Python from a friend of mine.
He is VERY good with his snakes and has them very tame, but his methods are not at all traditional, and I think id rather go with majority rules for safety.

I have a few Q's

He says i dont need a humidity gauge of any kind, I believe i do.
arent i right in that? should be 60+ right?

What can i use for a vapor barrier?

What can i use to lock the aquarium? It has a screen lid.
Do they make straps or anything like that for them?
(and yes the aquarium is HUGE and she has ample room to stretch out and should until shes about 14 feet).

How often should I mist her and the cage? my friend does not do that at all.

What are the best ways to get her used to me, I have been leaving her alone to settle in so far, Just got her about 30 hrs ago.
But once I do handle her, what is the best way to go about it without the friends help? so that she feels less threatened etc?

Will she be stressed out you think or anything like that from the changing of homes and owners and loss of her "sister" peaches? She was very close with my friend, he had her since a baby and she is almost two, so she is very used to him & now he wont be around her much.

I have a rottweiler. (almost 3). I will not be allowing him around her or her around him when she is out of her cage. Her viv is located in the kitchen, which has a locking door on it. Is he ok to come in the room as long as she is in the viv? I have been doing it so far, and she didnt react. and he has not noticed her.
When i do hold her, will she attack me because she smells him in the house or on my clothes you think?

Do other snake owners have other pets also?

Any advice is good!

Also we feed her cooked chicken, not mice, rabbits or rats, Same as my old friend did the first snake i was ever around. She likes that fine. My friend that sold her to me started her on it for me when I told him it is what im gonna be feeding her. Im vegetarian, I couldnt handle the animals with a face thing...

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rogue.jpg (25.0 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg rogue 2.jpg (24.9 KB, 80 views)
Login to remove ads

Tags
burmese, female, new owner, python, sane