sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-20-02, 04:23 PM   #1
sophia

Dang cloudy tank problems

Folks,
For four weeks in a row now I have been fighting this cloudy arrowana tank until I'm ready to scream. We don't over feed, he eats about 1 to 2 shrimp per day, I feed the cory cat once a week about 3 pellets (very small), the pleco eats the algae so I don't feel the need to feed him, there's no ammonia problem according to the tests, no Ph fluctuations, etc...

A few weeks ago I noticed the water was cloudy and I did a general cleaning including taking off the power filter and cleaning the inside and the uplift tubes and the impeller, while cleaning the impeller, I found that the magnet had captured a tiny piece of metal and it was rusting and in general outrage and shock, I set about cleaning the entire tank with a python hose and because it was so cloudy, I did a half water change. I was running pure synthetic filter media and I changed it out and washed out the relatively new media and placed it back inside the filter. This did not fix the problem and so after another water change and no luck with that, I tried adding a Tannin based poylmer clarifier called Insta-Clear which sometimes will turn the water yellow, but usually does the trick on the clouding. THIS DIDN'T WORK EITHER and I did yet another change and application of the product and again, changed filter media. I have done that yet again and it was another half tank water change this time, generally for regular cleaning purposes I only do a quarter change but the clouding is drastic and I can't see anything (parasitically speaking) floating in the water in the tank or in the test tubes!

I am at my wits end, but mind you, the fish are extremely healthy and eating well so I don't know what else to do!

Please, suggest something, I know that some of you are well versed, I think it was Shane whose posts I read several weeks back and I've even tried carbon to clean up the tank to no avail, I'm mad enough to throw the tank out the window and put the fish in the bathtub! *kidding* but I am frustrated.

Thanks in advance fo any advisement you can offer

Tay (who is going to clean the tank yet again):bugged:
Login to remove ads