border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-04-03, 09:07 PM   #1
vanderkm

Swim bladder problems in goldfish

This little gold and white fantail has been with me about 8 months, sharing a tank with a calico fantail (30 gallon). They are about 3 inches long. They are fed gold fish flakes and floating balls (color enhancing) twice a day and thawed peas once a week. Water is 10% changed per week, filter is Aqua-Clear 300.

The gold one occasionally would flip upside down for a couple hours and be ok by the next morning, but over the last month this has increased in frequency, and this week it has been happening 3-4 times each day.

I have read that this is a swim bladder problem, have been told to increase the fiber in the diet (so we added the peas), but wondered if there is anything else we should consider doing. The only thing that has changed in the last month is that the tank is warmer than before (now about 70 when it was 65 over the winter, because the tank is in a room that gets more sun with spring here).

I don't have a picture of her upside down, but this is what she looks like normally. Would really like to help her out, so if anyone has any ideas?? The other one has never done this.

Login to remove ads