border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-13-20, 07:58 PM   #1
MnGuy

HELP: Stuck shed

My plains garter shed Saturday. Sunday I noticed the very end of her tail did not shed. Long story, but this became an issue when was young and got stuck under the newspaper against the heat mat.

After a few rough sheds right after the newspaper incident she’s been shedding fine for nearly two years until yesterday. I soaked her for 30 minutes Sunday and it wouldn’t come off.

I soaked her another 30 minutes and some of the shed came off. But now I noticed that some belly scales near the tail have some pink indicating there’s blood underneath.

I soaked her for 30 minutes Monday morning and the last bit, wound tightly near the tip of the tail, didn't come off. I was very gentle. I put her in a plastic tub with some damp sphagnum moss and a water bowl for most of today, but the stuck shed wouldn't budge when I had her slither through a wet washcloth.

I put her back in her regular terrarium for the night, and was thinking of keeping her in the damp tub for much of tomorrow, but I don't want to cause scale rot or other issues.

I'm worried the stuck shed is never coming off and she'll lose the tip of her tail. Any suggestions?

Thank you.
Login to remove ads