border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > General Colubrid Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-22-19, 08:27 PM   #1
Cosmoandwinnie

Exclamation Dried out scales on snout

This is Cosmo. He’s a Baird’s rat snake that’s about four years old, and for the past few months he’s been having this problem. I think it’s from digging in his substrate too hard, but it almost like he scrapes off his scales just a bit before they’re ready. His jaw looks kind of wonky, and the scales feel dry and rough.
He isn’t having trouble eating, and he’s perfectly active, but this is happening lore commonly now and I’m getting worried. There’s no sign of an RI but I’m worried he’s going to injure himself further if it keeps up. His scales go back to normal after a shed or two.
He’s on a bark chip substrate and has silk plants and three hides. It’s about time they’re replaced with something larger but he stresses when I remove them. I want to change them out soon in case this is caused by boredom but it’s slow going.
Is there something I can do to prevent him from doing his to his nose? Or am I wrong about what this is? If this is something serious there is a vet I can contact but I don’t want to unless this is serious.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C2851092-D054-4EB6-93B1-496546B17A07.jpeg (183.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpeg BF1647FA-1C84-40F7-91D4-4D0E56A9EA9F.jpeg (93.4 KB, 7 views)
Login to remove ads

Tags
advice needed, health concern, rat snake, scale issue, scales