Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-09-19, 10:49 AM   #13
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: Wild-caught vs. Captive-bred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herpin' Man View Post
I think it's complicated, because if a given population of a common species is in no danger of loss due to habitat destruction, we would consider it sustainable. However these populations may interact with nearby populations, genetically speaking, so what if the nearby population is threatened by development?
Here in Minnesota, our largest populations of bull snakes and western hognose snakes occur in some of the fastest-growing areas of the state. I routinely find them in areas slated for housing and other development. Ethically, I would have no issues with removing these animals. But they can't legally be collected or even moved (moved where, anyway?)- figuratively speaking, from the path of the bulldozer. There is nearby State Forest land, which was once native prairie, teeming with these and other uncommon species. Rather than preserving it, the state turned it into a pine plantation. I guess it burns me a bit that habitat destruction, which is nearly always the biggest threat our beloved herps face, is acceptable, while any amount of private collection is criminalized.

Yes, animals do needlessly die in the hands of kids. Adults too. This applies to wild as well as captive bred herps. The only answer I can give is that morally, it is a price we pay (and the animals pay) to ultimately enjoy our hobby. It is something we all come to terms with in our own way, just as we all come to terms with, and rationalize, the idea of keeping animals captive to begin with. However the animals benefit in the long run as well, by playing a role in developing the people who will, ultimately grow to care for them, and hopefully play a part in protecting them.
You make a really good point. The pet trade is often criminalized (sometimes with good reason but a topic for another day) whereas habitat destruction kills far more than the pet trade does.

In addition, I know I'm going a little off course but your final point is also good. We all come to terms and for me, I give the best life I can to my animals and I do my best to not worry about the ones out of my control. This includes rescues which I haven't done in a long time. I believe keeping my animals in peak health is more important than the possible introduction of something to them. Again, that's for another topic.