sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Regius

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-04-17, 09:21 AM   #1
Nates snake

I think my snake eats too much - advice

Hey guys,

Little background, this is my first post. I got my male (maybe) snake as a baby from a national chain in May. The little guy was very emancipated and covered in duct tape. Removed the tape with veggie oil and bonded, moved him from pinky mice (ugh) to large mice by stepping him up one size each week. He handled the small and mediums very well and the large mice kept him satisfied for 5-6 days before he starts roaming at night.

Moved to 50g small rats at about 400g weight, back in mid September. He was 600g 3 weeks ago as empty as I can get him. switched feeding to 100g medium rats because roaming started at 3-4 days on 50g rats, back to 5 days before roaming on 100g rats. He is at least 2 1/2 feet long now which is based on his enclosure which is is longer than. When feeding, once he smells the day he strikes at any movement and bounded his enclosure around before I open it, you would think there was a small dog in there. Never bite me and very friendly but quite the hisser.

From what I can tell I am feeding him a lot and he is growing extremely fast, almost irresponsibly so, but it seems to be the only way to keep him happy. How would you respond? Should I continue to feed him large prey or should I step him back down and ignore the roaming? He seems happiest around 15% of body weight every 7 days which isn't outlandish, but definitely a lot.
Login to remove ads