border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-28-17, 12:13 PM   #12
Scubadiver59

Re: Ball python pairing ideas!

Ah, Aarron...this is a forum, so you'll have various views on things that may be thrown out there for discussion in order to gain understanding as to the why (why collect, breed, etc.), how (husbandry), and so on; so, I threw the comment in from left field (sorry for the baseball analogy for those that don't know baseball) after reading the recent, sudden surge in breeding threads and trying to understand why, especially regarding BPs, you'd want to breed them. Is it financial, just for S&G's, because I can, I want a certain morph that I'm going to strike it rich with its sale?

No disdain. I love all my animals, all 32 of them. I have my 29 snakes, and three dogs, 90% of the snakes second-hand from people that can't or won't take care of them any more, so my interest is definitely there. And I can see breeding unique species, like Hoggs (extinct in the wild), or other threatened species unavailable anywhere else, but the breeding of BPs seems over commercialized.

Unless, unless, you get that one specific morph that sells for $10k. Then I guess it doesn't matter...unless you can't find a buyer, and how many here will pay $10k for a BP? I even have a hard time thinking about shelling out $8k for a Bob Clark Pied Retic, let alone a BP!

Just looking for a discussion to understand the mentality behind the need to breed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
If you have so much disdain for the industry why do you keep any animals and so many? Why do you put ANY money into the hobby? Why participate if you hate everything that makes it go round?

Tags
ball python, breeding, ideas