border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Food For Thought Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-14-17, 01:06 AM   #1
Psidewindr

Funkadelic Rat Smell

I have a few questions about feeding my 4-ft ish hog island male boa, Sebastian. I switched over to frozen/thawed a few weeks back (from fresh killed at the pet store) and have some concerns.

First, Sebastian seems less interested in eating now. He doesn't strike the rat anymore, but may eat it if I leave it for a while.

Today I tried feeding him after thawing the rat at room temp for several hours and then heating it in warm water in a baggie. The rat got some water on it and it smelled really funky. Not like a rot or decomposing smell, just like a wet rodent gross smell. It's the first time it has smelled like this and he has eaten two of the frozen rats prior. S acted curious about it but ended up just laying his head on the rat's body and wasn't going for a meal. Soooo, I tossed the rat.

Has anyone had similar experiences with weird f/t rat smells? Is it likely he just wasn't hungry? I'm hopeful we won't keep having a repeat of this as I bought $50 worth of medium to large rats trying to save some money. But I've already thrown two out because I didn't want to refreeze after thawing.

Any thoughts or tips on this are appreciated!
Login to remove ads

Tags
feeding, frozen rats, hog island boa, smell, tips