border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-03-17, 02:44 AM   #1
bluewind

Advice needed on aspen alternatives

First off, apologies if this is the wrong spot, but I couldn't find a better one.

I have had my lovely Lily (albino sand boa) for about 3 years. My asthma has gotten bad enough that I need to switch beddings as aspen is now too dusty for me, so I would very much appreciate suggestions for alternatives. Her aspen has always bothered me with bedding changes being the worst, but until now it was just an annoyance I put up with. She likes to burrow and I don't have access to newspapers if that helps narrow the field of possibilities. I'm also already on an allergy pill. I read something about a product in the UK called Aubiose that's supposed to be less dusty because it's made from hemp, but I don't believe it's available in the US.

I tested to make sure that was what was causing my problems as well. I left her at my dad's for about a month checking on her weekly and feeding her as needed. Then I brought her back home. I can say for certain that the aspen is effecting me judging by my reactions at my weekly check and since having her home (she is in my living room which I never use). It's also not something growing in the cage itself as I clean her cage and hide well each bedding change (using vinegar water and then clean water before drying completely by letting set or using a dry towel), clean her water bowl weekly (topping it off between then of course), feed her in a separate small tank, remove sheds and poop when spotted, and have never had mold or aspen that turned black.

Thanks to anyone who took a moment to read and try to help.

Oh! And the aspen brand I'm using is Zoomed. Considering the very good rating it has on Amazon, I doubt there is much difference between it and other aspen in terms of dust level. :\
Login to remove ads

Tags
asthma, bedding, sand boa