sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Regius

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-21-17, 02:51 AM   #1
Koumansa

Interested in becoming a snake owner

Hey dear snake-enthusiast,

Despite my girlfriend's vehement resistance I've decided that I want to be a proud owner of a beautiful snake. I looked into all kinds of snakes - especially the ones recommended for beginners - and was very intrigued by the Ball Python (despite it not being the very best choice as an amateur's first snake). But before I start getting everything together and charge head over heel into this whole thing I wanted to ask a few things to put my newbie-mind at ease.

Questions concerning the enclosure:
- 1.5m/0.6m/0.8m (L/W/H); Is that too big or too small for a normal sized Ball Python? (I've read that snakes can get uncomfortable in enclosures that are too large for them.)
- If I decide to get a youngling, maybe a yearling, is the enclosure too encompassing for the tiny python? Or can I keep her in that enclosure for all of her life?
- Can I keep a ball python in the same room as my tv? I rarely use it (maybe once a week for movie night when my girlfriend comes over but that's about it) and when I'm on my computer I almost always use a headset. (I've read that you shouldn't flood the snakes environment with too many vibrations, i.E. tv, music, stereo, etc.)

Questions concerning the handling of the snake:
- I'm mostly at university during the day and get home in the evening during which hours I might want to interact with my snake. I think it's a good fit since Ball Pythons are said to be night/dusk-active. What do you think?
- How often can I take my snake out of her enclosure? To be frank, I would love to have her around/on me while I'm reading a book, playing a videogame (with headset) or just relax on my bed.

Questions concerning nourishment:
- Where do you, dear reader, keep the food for your own beautiful snake? In the freezer with all the "human-food" or do you have a separate freezer? Or do you just bury that stuff in the snow in your backyard?

If you've made it this far, I want to express my heartfelt gratitude to you for sticking with me and hearing me out. If you think you have the time and are willing to, please leave me a response with your answers to one, some or maybe all the questions I brought up.

Dearest regards,
Koumansa
Login to remove ads

Tags
first snake, need guidance, newbie, no experience