border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-03-16, 12:34 AM   #1
PatrickV

Solution to Mites

Just thought i'd post some good news. I recently acquired 2 new boa's. one was from a new breeder. the other i acquired through a trade on Kijiji with someone i'd never met. I've never heard of putting new boas in quarantine and up to date ive never had problems with mites and i had no idea what they looked like. I do now. my new albino boa had mites crawling on him and under his scales. Im not sure exactly where they came from but obviously they were on one of the new snakes i got.
Just wanted to say that i also happened to get my order of Vin Russo's book "the complete boa constrictor..." on the same day that i found the mites and looked up his solution to mites. I bought Nix (a solution for lice on humans) and diluted a weaker form than that which he suggested because i was afraid of making it too strong. I applied as he suggested in his book and my mite infested boa looks mite-free for the moment and in good shape. I also meticulously cleaned his home.
People say to treat every snake in your collection if you find mites. But i checked my other snakes and didnt see any sign of mites at all. I noticed them on my albino boa because he was soaking in his water bowl all of the sudden and he never does that, and a post on this forum said a reason behind this could be mites, and they were right. If i dont see any more mites in the coming weeks, ill consider myself lucky for having caught them early enough. however, if i see more, im afraid ill have to treat every animal and the entire room that i keep them in. i hope i wont have to do this.
Wanted to let people know about this solution to mites for those who have a similar problem and will post updates as to whether they re-appear or not.
Login to remove ads

Tags
boa, constrictor, mites, nix, parasite