sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-12, 08:28 PM   #136
Freebody
Veteran Member

Re: At a loss for words...

where was everyone when they did a complete ban on every speciece that has at least one type of snake that reaches over 9 feet complete ban of sale/import/export, then made the permit a handfull of days after the law change with a registration cap, as well as not give permits in time for the cap, resulting in law enforcment coming to kill everyones pets that tried to get them registered and didnt meet the time limit. case in point nile monitors, not one permit aproved before the time expired... consider yourselves lucky this did not happen to the rest of you a year and a bit ago like myself.. very sad to hear no one benifited from are misfortune and decided to not idle by and let the govt take are rights away. dangerous or not dangerous, the choice should be mine to make, and the consiquinces should aslo be mine to take if i fail to be responsible and cause undo harm to others or the herp in point. I am a law abiding citizen who has not proven other wise. sad day for everyone, I really think the govt should have to make these things Much more know than they do, freaking i know the states resteraunts have sale on burgers and fries this weekend somowhere, yet if i didnt go out of my way i would have no idea this every happend and i love herps and would do any vote every damn near anytime.........rant....
Old 01-17-12, 11:29 PM   #137
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Freebody, my point isn't about you wanting to take the consequences and if you personally are, or are not a law abiding citizen. I believe you are.

My point is that it could very well end up being that my child or anyone's child for that matter could be the one taking the consequences of any adults mistake in this regard. It is our duty, in my opinion, that we ensure that our choices don't negatively affect those around us, knowing them or not.
Old 01-18-12, 12:12 AM   #138
millertime89
Forum Moderator

You guys that think the giants should be banned have a right to your opinion, but what about the dwarf locales that are grouped into the ban along with the mainlands? This ban affects me too not because I want to keep the giants (I do and don't) but because I want to keep their smaller brethren, and want to have some of the cool morphs that are currently available only from the big ones. By supporting the ban you are supporting the people that are trying to force their beliefs on the rest of us. In some instances, this is not a bad thing, however when your beliefs result in the limitation of the rights of free individuals, it IS a bad thing.
I understand the why, but that doesn't mean I agree with it.
Old 01-18-12, 12:25 AM   #139
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Re: Read this now!

I sent out my email in time, just haven't been on the forum as much lately between school and trying to spread the word on FB and elsewhere. I posted this in the other thread but feel it needs to be said here as well.
You guys that think the giants should be banned have a right to your opinion, but what about the dwarf locales that are grouped into the ban along with the mainlands? This ban affects me too not because I want to keep the giants (I do and don't) but because I want to keep their smaller brethren, and want to have some of the cool morphs that are currently available only from the big ones. By supporting the ban you are supporting the people that are trying to force their beliefs on the rest of us. In some instances, this is not a bad thing, however when your beliefs result in the limitation of the rights of free individuals, it IS a bad thing.
I understand the why, but that doesn't mean I agree with it.
Old 01-18-12, 03:38 AM   #140
jaleely
Member of the family

The gun thing was an ironic joke. Obviously...or i guess not obviously.

And yes, i do know a little about genetics, which is why i pointed out that breeding babies to their parents and etc etc is stupid. Yes it gets you morphs. No it does not breed healthy snakes in the long run, and a lot of times, in the short run. *rolls eyes*

You are kind of going off the deep end stephinbakir, you don't even live here.
27 snakes (7 sand boas, 4 hognose, 5 ball pythons, 1 bolivian boa, 2 dumeril's boas, 2 carpet pythons, 5 garters, 1 corn snake), 1 cave spider, 9 tarantulas, 1 tokay gecko, 2 dogs, 2 frogs, emperor scorpions 1,000 dubia roaches, & tons of fish.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-18-12, 03:39 AM   #141
jaleely
Member of the family

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanbakir View Post
I'm canadian and I voted. I used the address of a friend. They don't check, and they dont care. All they think about is votes.
AH yes, clearly the way to go. You don't find this ironic at all? I mean, we're talking about irresponsible people who've made it annoying for the rest of us.
27 snakes (7 sand boas, 4 hognose, 5 ball pythons, 1 bolivian boa, 2 dumeril's boas, 2 carpet pythons, 5 garters, 1 corn snake), 1 cave spider, 9 tarantulas, 1 tokay gecko, 2 dogs, 2 frogs, emperor scorpions 1,000 dubia roaches, & tons of fish.
Old 01-18-12, 03:44 AM   #142
jaleely
Member of the family

Re: $%## this Roony *******

Quote:
Originally Posted by red ink View Post
How about we don't release any back at all (male or female) is what I'm getting at. I understand what you are saying the infertile male will compete with the fertile males for females... in the meantime the infertile male is still having an impact on the local ecology.

There's no guanrantee the infertile male will win courtship rights with the female... Females can mate with multiple males during the breeding season, one infertile the other fertile.. results still more snakes.

Easiest way let the public have their way and let them go on a invasive species killing spree... win win. They feel like they're doin something and there's a dent in the population. If we were going to spend money on the operation for sterilisation, half that and use it as a bounty for the snake. Quickest way to make a natural resource scarce.. put a value on it and don't restrict the take. Even at 10 bux a pop, there will be hunters out there who will take 10-20 a weekend to make that kind of cash.

It's the same tactics we are trying to use here... "shoot all ferals". Hunters wil hunt and rednecks will kill for kicks. Why not use their idiocy to your advantage, shift their mentality to go hunting and killing invasives.
Thank you. Couldn't have said any of that better. I really couldn't, i'm terrible at this lol
I just keep getting frustrated and resorting to calling everything stupid *lol*
Old 01-18-12, 09:49 AM   #143
Will0W783
The Original Urban Legend

Send a message via AIM to Will0W783
Re: Ban threads combined

WOW....I really wasn't on here much yesterday, as I spent the majority of my free time researching whatever I could to learn the details of the new ban (I still don't have many answers). I'm really frustrated and saddened that this is how our lawmakers and "representatives" chose to fight the Everglades problem. Yes, the wild pythons in the Everglades is a serious problem to our native ecosystem....but it is a problem there, and only there.

I am not against stricter regulation of the giant snake species....too many people buy them because they think it will be "cool" to have a massive, potentially deadly snake. Or they think it is neat to watch it kill and eat its food. These idiots should not be allowed to own a giant.,...or any snake for that matter. However, an all-out ban is not the answer in my opinion. Stupid people will still get the snakes black-market, and banning the pet trade will not fix the problems in the Everglades---it won't do a **** thing to help. It WILL prevent the majority of irresponsible owners from getting in over their heads, but it will also punish the people who would be responsible owners. I recognize that there has to be an enforcement of certain measures to protect our environment and our citizens, but look at prohibition, and the war on drugs. Are those really helping save lives? Nope. People are just doing illegally what they would do anyway.

I have thought for a long time that a tighter regulation on the larger potentially dangerous snake (and other reptile) species would be a good thing. This includes venomous also. In my state, anyone can walk into a reptile expo and leave with a giant python or a venomous snake...regardless of their level of experience and training. MOST vendors will ask questions to make sure you can handle a hot or a large snake, but people can lie. And some unscrupulous vendors wont' ask questions.
If you want to buy a gun, you have to first have a background check run, to make sure you are not guilty of any crimes or wrongdoings that would make you likely to commit a gun crime, and they make sure you are not mentally disabled or certified with any mental illnesses. Why not do something similar for hots and giant pythons?

Any person wishing to obtain one of these animals would have to attend a class, spend a certain number of hours of training, and fill out an application for a permit to own, similar to Florida's venomous regulations. It doesn't have to be 1000 hours, or whatever- the number of hours could be state-by-state regulated, or set at passing certain milestones and tests. You can't drive a car without first demonstrating that you are capable- why not make sure the people who are keeping the more likely to be dangerous reptile species are prepared and capable as well? I think this should be a general permit- not specific for each animal, but you could have to register how many you are keeping (whatever needs to be done for such a system to be effective), but it shouldn't be too terribly cost-prohibitive. Once you have a permit, you can take it to reptile expos and show it to vendors to purchase your animal. I think this would be much more effective than the all-out ban, and I've written about this to multiple senators and the president. It did little good so far, but if more of us adopted a stance where we WANT to help eradicate the problems in our community while still preserving our rights, we might get farther with the general public.

I sent out letters, emails, made calls, and did all I could during this campaign, and I will continue to speak out to fight for the animals I love. We ALL need to, especially now with the new elections coming up in 2012..
Old 01-18-12, 10:16 AM   #144
youngster
Snake Child

x2 to Kim.
Sage Riddle Finch
Old 01-18-12, 10:19 AM   #145
alessia55
Retired Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alessia55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will0W783 View Post
If you want to buy a gun, you have to first have a background check run, to make sure you are not guilty of any crimes or wrongdoings that would make you likely to commit a gun crime, and they make sure you are not mentally disabled or certified with any mental illnesses. Why not do something similar for hots and giant pythons?

Any person wishing to obtain one of these animals would have to attend a class, spend a certain number of hours of training, and fill out an application for a permit to own, similar to Florida's venomous regulations. It doesn't have to be 1000 hours, or whatever- the number of hours could be state-by-state regulated, or set at passing certain milestones and tests. You can't drive a car without first demonstrating that you are capable- why not make sure the people who are keeping the more likely to be dangerous reptile species are prepared and capable as well? I think this should be a general permit- not specific for each animal, but you could have to register how many you are keeping (whatever needs to be done for such a system to be effective), but it shouldn't be too terribly cost-prohibitive. Once you have a permit, you can take it to reptile expos and show it to vendors to purchase your animal. I think this would be much more effective than the all-out ban
This is what I would propose as the better way to go about controlling big snakes (particularly in Florida, where I'm from). In addition, I would say it would be helpful to have regulations as to safe-keeping of the big snake, such as using a particular caging/locking system, etc. Microchipping would help in that if the snake got out, it could be returned/taken away, and the person (ir)responsible for be fined, have their permit suspended, etc.

Unfortunately, the so-called "leaders" behind the ban don't know much at all about the big snakes. They see "burmese pythons are destroying the Everglades," so "lets restrict burmese pythons everywhere!"
Login to remove ads
Old 01-18-12, 10:29 AM   #146
Rogue628

Send a message via Skype™ to Rogue628

Quote:
WOW....I really wasn't on here much yesterday, as I spent the majority of my free time researching whatever I could to learn the details of the new ban (I still don't have many answers). I'm really frustrated and saddened that this is how our lawmakers and "representatives" chose to fight the Everglades problem. Yes, the wild pythons in the Everglades is a serious problem to our native ecosystem....but it is a problem there, and only there.

I am not against stricter regulation of the giant snake species....too many people buy them because they think it will be "cool" to have a massive, potentially deadly snake. Or they think it is neat to watch it kill and eat its food. These idiots should not be allowed to own a giant.,...or any snake for that matter. However, an all-out ban is not the answer in my opinion. Stupid people will still get the snakes black-market, and banning the pet trade will not fix the problems in the Everglades---it won't do a **** thing to help. It WILL prevent the majority of irresponsible owners from getting in over their heads, but it will also punish the people who would be responsible owners. I recognize that there has to be an enforcement of certain measures to protect our environment and our citizens, but look at prohibition, and the war on drugs. Are those really helping save lives? Nope. People are just doing illegally what they would do anyway.

I have thought for a long time that a tighter regulation on the larger potentially dangerous snake (and other reptile) species would be a good thing. This includes venomous also. In my state, anyone can walk into a reptile expo and leave with a giant python or a venomous snake...regardless of their level of experience and training. MOST vendors will ask questions to make sure you can handle a hot or a large snake, but people can lie. And some unscrupulous vendors wont' ask questions.

Any person wishing to obtain one of these animals would have to attend a class, spend a certain number of hours of training, and fill out an application for a permit to own, similar to Florida's venomous regulations. It doesn't have to be 1000 hours, or whatever- the number of hours could be state-by-state regulated, or set at passing certain milestones and tests. You can't drive a car without first demonstrating that you are capable- why not make sure the people who are keeping the more likely to be dangerous reptile species are prepared and capable as well? I think this should be a general permit- not specific for each animal, but you could have to register how many you are keeping (whatever needs to be done for such a system to be effective), but it shouldn't be too terribly cost-prohibitive. Once you have a permit, you can take it to reptile expos and show it to vendors to purchase your animal. I think this would be much more effective than the all-out ban, and I've written about this to multiple senators and the president. It did little good so far, but if more of us adopted a stance where we WANT to help eradicate the problems in our community while still preserving our rights, we might get farther with the general public.

I sent out letters, emails, made calls, and did all I could during this campaign, and I will continue to speak out to fight for the animals I love. We ALL need to, especially now with the new elections coming up in 2012..
Agree 100%
0.1.1 '11 Normal Royal Pythons 0.2 '11 Albino Burms 0.2 Rescue Dumeril's Boas (approx 4yrs old) 0.1 '11 Colombian Boa (BCI) 0.1 '11 Cali King 0.1.0 JCP 0.1 '12 borneo 1.0 rose hair T 1.0 cat 1.1 Kids 1.0 Boyfriend
Old 01-18-12, 11:11 AM   #147
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaleely View Post
AH yes, clearly the way to go. You don't find this ironic at all? I mean, we're talking about irresponsible people who've made it annoying for the rest of us.
I am moving to the states in a few months... so yes.. I have a right to voice my opinion.

I agree Kim.
Old 01-18-12, 12:39 PM   #148
marvelfreak
Captain America

I still don't get how the heck yellow Anacondas are on there, but not Greens?
That got me pissed. Any time i ever seen anything about someone getting attacked by a Anaconda it's always Greens not Yellow.

Anyway if they truly want to save the Everglades and the Florida natural wildlife they need to do a couple things.

1) STOP building new homes in the Everglades and along the out skirts of the Everglades.

2) STOP the number one killer of Florida's wildlife "Humans" aka "Florida Residences". I mean truthfully this is the number one killer. With the exception of Native Americas we are all indigestion to the U.S.

The fix force everyone to move out of the state and turn the whole state into a natural reserve. I
Old 01-18-12, 04:56 PM   #149
red ink
Wandering Cricket

Quote:

That system works for us....

On top of that there are some species I can not keep in my state as they are not under my licenced species list to keep but are available in other states... We live with it, we learn, we cope (effectively a ban on certain species). It ain't that bad in all honesty.

As I understand if you already own it when and if the proposed ban goes through you get to keep it anyway just not breed it...

The one thing this bill should be targeting across the board as in all reptile species is stopping pet stores from selling them, at least have a strict licence system to do so... again this is what we have in place. Legal to sell reptiles in pet stores in some states but only a few selected species, totally illegal in others.
Old 01-18-12, 06:29 PM   #150
jaleely
Member of the family

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanbakir View Post
I am moving to the states in a few months... so yes.. I have a right to voice my opinion.

I agree Kim.
You have all the right, clearly, to say whatever opinion floats your boat. I don't think it's appropriate you use someone else's information to do it. You don't find that a tad bit dishonest? Kind of shadows all the "good" you're supposed to be doing, doesn't it? You don't think that makes the rest of us look bad and like "crazy snake people"?
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread