border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > Personal Websites!!!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-18, 03:21 PM   #1
Bandit

Working on a website - looking for input

Hi all,

I'm working on a website that will primarily display my photos of native reptiles and amphibians I encounter in the field. Since the site is geared towards a specific niche, I figured I'd ask you all.

First, for the home page of the website, do you think it should open up to the gallery with all of my photos? Or do you think there should be a more general home page (maybe with a few teaser pictures), and you would have to navigate to the gallery on the menu.

Second, what are your thoughts on a blog about my herping experiences? It wouldn't be a journal of every outing, but of more significant outings and experiences. Possibly summaries of my month or my past few outings. I'd also include plans for herping trips, target species, etc. It would likely include pictures within blog. Would YOU be interested in reading that? I know that my instagram followers are interested in my herping adventures and seeing photos of my finds, but I'm not sure people would want to read about it.

On a final note, I know that ultimately this stuff may come down to the quality/style of my photos, writing skills, and website design. However, I'm more concerned with thoughts on the overall content for now.
Login to remove ads
Old 11-16-18, 07:05 PM   #2
ClockwerkBonnet

Re: Working on a website - looking for input

Rendering; please wait...

I talked with a relative about this just now. He says that whatever is the most important part of the site to you should be what comes up when anyone first opens up the website. If the gallery is most important, put that in the home page; if it's the blog, that goes in the home page. It's all a matter of your tastes in the design of a site.

Furthermore, a blog would be an interesting addition to this project. I don't go out herping very often, but I would like to whenever I get the chance, so it would be great to hear from an experienced person.
Old 11-17-18, 09:15 AM   #3
Bandit

Thank you for your input. The site is mainly focused on photos, so I guess I will leave that as the starting point. And I'm glad to hear that you'd be interested in reading about my herping experiences. I will give the whole blogging thing a shot.

If you are interested in checking it out, I will post the url below. Please let me know what you think. Any advice is welcomed as it's still in the early stages and I'm sure it could use some improvements.

https://louisianareptiles.pb.gallery/
Old 11-17-18, 11:38 AM   #4
ClockwerkBonnet

I'm having a lot of trouble trying to describe how impressive it looks at the moment. The effects are an astounding touch, and the gallery is off to a good start. The intro was interesting to read as well.
Old 11-17-18, 01:25 PM   #5
Bandit

Thanks! Again, I still have a lot to add. I'd like to touch up the "About Me" page some, and I have plenty of photos to add to the gallery.

I'd like to get all of that set up before starting the blog.

Again, I really do appreciate the feedback!
Login to remove ads
Old 11-17-18, 04:59 PM   #6
ClockwerkBonnet

No problem, Bandit. Please keep us updated on your progress.
Old 11-17-18, 05:02 PM   #7
Bandit

Will do. I'm hoping to really make some progress on it this week. I've asked a few friends to check it out and give me some feedback as well. So there may be some changes coming.
Old 11-18-18, 09:37 PM   #8
pet_snake_78

I would definitely include your herping stories in the blog. Anything interesting about where and how you have found certain animals and such would be good. Also a good way to get interest is to throw some vidoes on youtube with a link back to your site.

How to Save Money on Reptile Supplies
Old 11-18-18, 09:48 PM   #9
Bandit

I'm glad to hear that! Thank you for the input! I asked a few friends of mine, and there seems to be overall support for a blog. I'm going to go for it, and hopefully have my first post up this week.

I've thought about doing a youtube channel, but I don't know. I agree with you that I think it would be a hit, but I have a hard time doing all of that while I'm actually out herping. I may give it a try though. Just like anyone else, I always enjoy watching videos from the field. I've just never made the jump onto the other side of the camera before.
Old 11-18-18, 09:50 PM   #10
Bandit

I'll also be adding some descriptions/captions to the photos this week. While it will contain some sort of basic descriptions of the species, it won't be like your typical field guide descriptions. It will be more so based on my personal experiences with that species.
Login to remove ads
Old 11-19-18, 07:11 PM   #11
Bandit

Alright, so I added my first blog post - more of an introductory post than anything else.

I also added some descriptions next to the photos. Go check it out and let me know what ya'll think!
Old 11-19-18, 08:58 PM   #12
ClockwerkBonnet

Not bad at all! I can't wait to hear the first story.
Old 11-20-18, 07:43 AM   #13
Bandit

I'm thinking of eventually making blog posts weekly. However, I may accelerate the first few just to get some content up.
Old 11-21-18, 11:34 AM   #14
ClockwerkBonnet

I just checked out the new website again today. The new design for the home page is interesting.
Old 11-21-18, 12:34 PM   #15
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwerkBonnet View Post
I just checked out the new website again today. The new design for the home page is interesting.
Better? Worse?
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread