border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-11, 09:35 PM   #1
scottyy

Question retic mouth?

well earlier i took some pictures for you guys to see and then i got her out later today and noticed that half of her mouth was slightly open. it kind of looks like an abscess or something like that. I saw a retic with one in its mouth before on youtube but i am not sure if that is what my snake has. could it be she just needs to yawn or something like that to put it back in place? the pics i took of it arent that great because she would not sit still lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image03082011221958.jpg (21.9 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg Image03082011221944.jpg (22.1 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg Image03082011221923.jpg (22.3 KB, 232 views)
Login to remove ads
Old 03-09-11, 05:42 AM   #2
Jenn_06

Re: retic mouth?

you need to look in the mouth and see if its red and looks infected. you might want someone there to help you hold the body, you need to hold the head(dont be scared its not going to hurt the snake)and get something that you can use to open the mouth.if its really red or looks a little infected you need to go to the vet before it gets really bad.
Old 03-09-11, 06:16 AM   #3
scottyy

How much would something like cost to get fixed? because the closest exotic vet is like an hour away which sucks :/ maybe i will have to google it to see if there is a vet near by
Old 03-09-11, 06:53 AM   #4
Jenn_06

im not sure, but if you go soon its not going to cost as much if you wait and the infection gets really bad. but look to see if there is a infection first.
Old 03-09-11, 11:15 AM   #5
mld

Good luck at the vet, hopefully it's nothing serious, but if it is at least you can catch it before it gets too bad.
0-1-0 Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
Login to remove ads
Old 03-09-11, 03:46 PM   #6
scottyy

Yea i think i am gonna call and ask how much something like that would cost
Old 03-09-11, 05:07 PM   #7
TeaNinja

aren't you missing the most important part??? did you look at your snakes mouth to see if it looked infected??
Old 03-09-11, 06:57 PM   #8
scottyy

Well i was just gonna suck it up and just take her because i am no vet but i know something has to be wrong. so sunday i am just going to take her because i will be over by the vet that day... i wish there was a closer vet >.>
Old 03-09-11, 07:15 PM   #9
kinggill

Man just grab a friend or 2 ,hold the snake down and get a wooden dowl and lightly tap her on the front of her mouth...she will open, push the dowl in easy.It may just be a tooth you can pick out.We had a huge retic that got a bad absessed tooth ...we waited too long and the infection spread....after the chore of draining daily and many injections it still died.
Old 03-09-11, 08:54 PM   #10
scottyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinggill View Post
Man just grab a friend or 2 ,hold the snake down and get a wooden dowl and lightly tap her on the front of her mouth...she will open, push the dowl in easy.It may just be a tooth you can pick out.We had a huge retic that got a bad absessed tooth ...we waited too long and the infection spread....after the chore of draining daily and many injections it still died.
well i suppose i could give a look in her mouth. shouldnt take too many people she isnt that big... yet. it does look worse today than it did yesterday. its starting to turn like a white pussy color or something like that.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-09-11, 07:09 PM   #11
TeaNinja

better safe then sorry i guess
i hope she's fine.
Old 03-09-11, 07:16 PM   #12
scottyy

thats what i figured lol. better to catch it now before i have to pay for an extensive surgery or something like that.
Old 03-09-11, 11:16 PM   #13
Damion930

Best of luck man I hope all works out for you
Old 03-10-11, 03:52 AM   #14
Isaac's Ark

seems like early signs of mouth rot it can be a bugger of an infection but rater simple to clear up if you are going to the vet soon you should be able to nip this one in the but. I am unaware of how you keep your retic housed but i noticed in my collection that a clean quarantine cage with a little TLC can put an abrupt end to such infections. Keep in mind something like this can become something much worst very fast especially when we are referring to the mouth region of snakes.
Old 03-10-11, 06:04 AM   #15
scottyy

Well if it is an abscessed tooth should i pull it out with my fingers or a clean pair of tweezers or something like that? well i keep her at about 90 on a hot side and 80 on the cool side with 60% humidity. i just moved her up to a larger cage about a week ago and just changed the substrate yesterday i am hoping for the abscessed tooth though because i can fix that myself.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread