border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-05, 09:39 PM   #1
Skinnychondro

AnyOne keep marine or reef tanks??

Hi, I just set up a marine tank last weekend. This past Saturday I added my first fish a Clarkii Clown and I also got a arrow crab to clean the bottom. Once the tank is more established ie. water quality, I plan on getting a Bubble Anemone for the Clown, Strawberry basslet, Fire shrimp, Boxfish.

I used to have a reef tank 6 years ago, but it got too hard to look after at that point in my life, so I gave everything to my inlaws. A lot has changed since I was into marine set ups. A was so overwhelmed at the Aquarium store. I ended up getting a 30 gallon marine setup with a bio wheel filter. I don't plan on getting any live corals, so I didn't the metal hallid lighting.

Anyone else here have marine or reef tanks??? Just would like to talk about fish and any experiences.

Cheers
Jamie
Login to remove ads
Old 02-14-05, 09:41 PM   #2
moperri

I have a reef tank if you wanna chat e mail me at:
serpentarium@shaw.ca
Old 02-14-05, 09:46 PM   #3
mark129er

you should join allthingsaquatic.com. it's the sister site to this one, alot of the same people, very informative and fun. I work at a pet store with a very good marine section. ATA helps me out with "job related research"
Old 02-14-05, 10:30 PM   #4
spidergecko

Send a message via MSN to spidergecko
I kept my reef aquarium until May last year. It was an "interesting" experience (I did it for nearly 20 years) but it is the largest money pit of a hobby and I'm glad I got out of it. Anyone who thinks they spend way too much on herps, think again I kept a record of my reef aquarium (100 gallons) expenses from 1999-2004 , the life of the latest tank, and I was up to nearly $11K. I sold it all for $600.

You may not want to keep corals but they are 10x easier to keep and maintain than an anemone. Even a BTA can be tough without strong lighting. Arrow crabs will eat beneficial worms in your aquarium.

Sometimes I think about getting another aquarium but when I remember the cost, I think again.
Old 02-15-05, 09:44 PM   #5
Skinnychondro

Sorry about that post, I just read it. I must have been really tired last night. hehe... Anyway I registered at ATA last night, it looks like a great site.

I know what you mean Mike, I must have spent a couple grand when I had my last reef tank. But I actually think it's a cheaper hobby than keeping reptiles. I find it easier forking over 20-30 dollars for a fish than a $1000 for a snake. hehe
I've told myself I'm not going to get crazy this time and buy a ton of stuff. Just some live rock, a few fish and inverts.

Cheers
Jamie
Login to remove ads
Old 02-15-05, 10:54 PM   #6
Asian Jon

Good luck with the tank Jamie. I;m itching to get a SW tank setup. I just need the funds. I just registered at ATA not too long ago, I'll see ya there .
Old 02-15-05, 11:04 PM   #7
Double J

I don't have a reef tank... I would love to but the expense and hassle is too much for me at this point in time... but I would love to in the future.

Still.. do have a great little brackish tank with some Indian mudskippers. I have had these little guys since October or November.. and they certainly grow like weeds.

-Led Zeppelin
Old 02-15-05, 11:12 PM   #8
diablodragon

Send a message via MSN to diablodragon
Ive got a small reef tank. 26 gallons to be exact, all soft corals and a perc clown. You do know that a box fish could kill everything in your tank if it gets stressed or dies right, and also large arrows may grab a fish while its sleeping and eat it. I know i saw one corner and grab a healthy 3 inch long chromis. Sorry if I sound like a pessimist, but I sell salt fish and a lot of poeple want to bring back their arrows after a couple weeks. :P
Old 02-15-05, 11:34 PM   #9
paulsreef

A clown will also hang out in a large polyp hard coral, like a hammer or elegant coral. Anenomes don't live long in captivity, they move around stinging other corals and even get sucked into power heads. Clowns need anonomes in the wild to survive, don't buy one and deplete the wild population. It won't survive in your tank anyways.
Old 02-15-05, 11:43 PM   #10
paulsreef

Oh yah, join MAST, marine aquarium society of Toronto. Great bunch of people, they swap coral, fish and have small auctions where you can get coral, fish and equipment at a fraction of what aquarium stores charge. I've got most of my coral for free from members because their coral is out growing their tanks. You will also find out what equipment is worth buying and what is crap. The technology has changed a lot in the last 5 years; they will clue you in before you waste your money on outdated equipment.
Paul.
Old 02-16-05, 09:46 PM   #11
Skinnychondro

Thanks for the tips. I don't think I will be getting an anemone. After posting I was doing some more reading and decided against it. I might go the soft coral route.

I heard that it was rare for the boxfish to poison the water?? Thanks though, I will look into it more. Like I said, it's been a while since I had a reef tank.

Jamie
Old 02-16-05, 10:35 PM   #12
spidergecko

I'm not sure where your info is coming from but bubble-tip anemones can be captive propagated. A few years back the rose BTA was very expensive ($300-500) but since the captive reproduction of this animal in Asia, you can buy it for under $100 and only about $10 more than a "normal" BTA. WC specimens still exist but it is not uncommon to find captive anemones. Also, because so many of them split in captivity, many sister clones are available from other marine keepers. No other host anemone is captive "bred" though.
Old 02-16-05, 10:45 PM   #13
pablo111

You're running a reef tank with a bio wheel filter eh?

Yeehaw you don't know what you're doin...

First fish a clown? mmhmmm...
Anemone with no lighting? uh huh... You know anemones need to be HEAVILY supplemented and are one of the hardest things to care for in the world right?

www.pnaquaria.com

ask them to slap you straight

I also notice you didnt mention Live Rock, lighting, powerheads, substrate, filter media...

If you're running a reef tank on JUST a biowheel filter, you're in a sad sad sad situation.
Old 02-17-05, 09:47 PM   #14
Skinnychondro

Relax, Pablo. I'm not claiming to be setting up a reef tank right now.

Right now all I have is a clown and a crab. I'm thinking a FOWLR at best for the time being. If I was going to get corals I would have to set it up differently.

I'm aware of what's needed to keep a reef tank and, like I said in my previous post, "I've told myself I'm not going to get crazy this time and buy a ton of stuff. Just some live rock, a few fish and inverts".

As far as I know I don't need any slappings as you had recommended. I know what my goal is with this tank. And I'm only here to talk to others who share the same interests. If you read through my posts and got the impression that I am currently running a reef tank with a bio wheel then maybe you're the one in a bit of a situation.

Listen, I understand it's frustrating that after Finding Nemo came out everyone thinks they can irresponsibly jump into reef keeping. I imagine that it is easy to jump to conclusions that anyone seeking info might be one of those band wagon jumpers.

I can assure you, though I shouldn't have to, that my interest in this hobby is sincere and since it has been a long time since I had my last tank I am taking what I believe to be the necessary steps so as to look before I leap. Again, that's why I'm here.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
Jamie
Old 02-17-05, 11:03 PM   #15
spidergecko

Quote:
Originally posted by Skinnychondro
... "I've told myself I'm not going to get crazy this time and buy a ton of stuff. Just some live rock, a few fish and inverts".
LOL. You know that once the reef bug hits you will be trapped. I used to tell myself, "I won't get sucked in", but I did. What gets you in the end is the DIY stuff. "Oh, I can build my own hood. Oh, I can do my own electrical work. Oh, I can build a protein skimmer out of some PVC and glue." The hobby is evil You always want that one bit more. And since the hobby is always changing you find yourself tearing the tank down and setting it up again in a new style according to the "experts", then the experts change their minds and you tear it down once again. And every time you tear it down you tell yourself, "Never again!" but a month later, there you are with a beer and a grimace, doing it all over again. tsk tsk.

I think I'm going to have nightmares tonight.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread