border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Epicrates

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-18, 06:17 PM   #1
phenyx

Unhappy Another week, another snuggle buddy.

When I got my BRB, I really thought that maintaining high humidity would be my biggest problem. In reality, the humidity has been a cinch to maintain: one sheet of clear plastic sized to the W x L-2" of my screen top and the humidity has stayed at 95%+ with misting just once or twice a week.

It's feeding the little pain-in-the-butt that's making me crazy. I waited 7 days after the first pinky finally disappeared - he pooped a few days later so I'm more confident that he actually ate it - after being in the enclosure for 29 hours.

So yesterday, I gave him a live peach fuzzie. I even tried holding the squirming little thing by the scruff with tweezers and repeatedly booping Salazar with it to try and piss him off enough that he'd strike. I thought baby BRBs were supposed to be so defensive and bitey that they'd strike at anything. Not this guy. I never knew fuzzies could sqeal that loud. We're now at 25 hours and counting...

I don't think that I'm the right owner for a BRB. So far I'm not enjoying having him.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-10-18, 07:55 PM   #2
TRD

Re: Another week, another snuggle buddy.

Just wondering about why the live feeding if it bothers you so much? BRB wouldn't eat otherwise? Snakes can also get stressed when trying to force food onto them. Also some snakes won't respond too well to a mouse hanging off forceps danging in their face.. They'll notice it, and the hand, and you behind it, and get scared.

Luckily these guys don't need all that much food, so there's no need really to panic over it. Is it a new born, or how old is it? I would just take a shallow plastic deli cup and pull a few scent trails through the vivarium over the branches to that dish and leave 1-2 pinkies in there overnight. If he didn't eat by next morning, repeat it 5 days later. Take his/her weight every 2 weeks to see if there's any significant weight loss. If there is significant weight loss (>10% of total weight) then you can take a small container with no substrate and leave snake + some pinkies in there overnight... just place box+snake back in vivarium (and that box should have air holes of course).
Old 03-19-18, 11:24 PM   #3
phenyx

Thumbs up Re: UPDATE Another week, another snuggle buddy.

Earlier this week, I brought in a zoo med nano with a 40w ceramic heater to raise Jerkface's (yes, his name is now Jerkface) ambient temp from 74 (room temp at my house) to 78 degrees. This decision was based on a thread I found here from several years ago about a CRB with similar feeding issues that were resolved with higher ambients. I also moved him into a proper 10 gallon viv. Once the ambient temp came up, he immediately got more active and stopped staying in his hides 24/7.

Decided to try the deli cup method for feeding tonight because Monday is when I feed my BP. I put Jerkface into a deli cup sized rubbermaid container with an f/t pinky instead of the live ones I've been offering because I am not going through that again.

He ignored the pinky for several hours and eventually I covered the viv with a towel because my cats were being too nosy. Sometime in the last few hours he must have eaten the pinky because it's not in the deli cup anymore. So, as in the thread with the CRB, higher ambients than room temperature again seem to have made the difference.

And the deli cup.

And covering the Little Prince's viv.

He's still a pain in the butt.
Old 03-10-18, 08:15 PM   #4
phenyx

It is a baby and currently weighs 29-30 grams. As outlined in a previous post, a lot of red flags have come up for me about the ethics of the breeding company from which I got him. I was told that he had been started on live food but they are a HUGE reptile breeder in Florida and I suspect he may not yet have been an established feeder when I got him. They told me they start all their babies on live pinkies. I thought it better to continue the live food until it was settled in and feeding consistently and then switch to f/t. I don't have a problem feeding live; I was just really surprised that such a loud noise could come out of such a tiny baby. I think I just hit the wrong emoji.

Last edited by phenyx; 03-10-18 at 08:24 PM..
Old 05-05-18, 11:37 PM   #5
Shauna0522

Send a message via MSN to Shauna0522 Send a message via Yahoo to Shauna0522

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenyx View Post
It is a baby and currently weighs 29-30 grams. As outlined in a previous post, a lot of red flags have come up for me about the ethics of the breeding company from which I got him. I was told that he had been started on live food but they are a HUGE reptile breeder in Florida and I suspect he may not yet have been an established feeder when I got him. They told me they start all their babies on live pinkies. I thought it better to continue the live food until it was settled in and feeding consistently and then switch to f/t. I don't have a problem feeding live; I was just really surprised that such a loud noise could come out of such a tiny baby. I think I just hit the wrong emoji.
Did you happen to get jerkface from reptile city? Just curious because that's where I got my first BRB from and I had the same problem.
Old 03-10-18, 08:53 PM   #6
IDvsEGO

Sorry you are having trouble with your little one. Don't judge all brb by your one specimen though. Mine has been a very manageable pet and is only about 4 months old. Hopefully things even put for you as it gets some age.

I am curious... If you had such a struggle with the pinky, why change immediately after a success? I would think you would want a couple of good feeding before trying to make a change. Let the little guy get comfortable and confident. Just put a pinkie in there and leave him alone. Be patient. A snake won't starve itself to death. Hunger always wins eventually.
Old 03-21-18, 06:16 AM   #7
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
Sorry you are having trouble with your little one. Don't judge all brb by your one specimen though. Mine has been a very manageable pet and is only about 4 months old. Hopefully things even put for you as it gets some age.

I am curious... If you had such a struggle with the pinky, why change immediately after a success? I would think you would want a couple of good feeding before trying to make a change. Let the little guy get comfortable and confident. Just put a pinkie in there and leave him alone. Be patient. A snake won't starve itself to death. Hunger always wins eventually.
Pinkies are not very nutritious, the sooner it gets on bigger prey the better. Even doubling or tripling the pinkies won't do much towards providing enough nutrition for a growing baby rainbow, and he may stay at his current weight or even lose weight eating the meals he currently is. OP posted a picture of the pinks, and they're barely the size of the snake's head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
Perhaps he just wasn't hungry yet. I have three BRBs and they are all fantastic eaters. While I love to have all my snakes on the same feeding schedule, they don't always cooperate. Give him a few more days between feedings. Also, consider switching to F/T as they are MUCH easier to maintain
I agree, a hungry boa won't refuse food for long, so long as all husbandry is within parameters. I would go straight to f/t, and offer until he takes it. Best to just rip the bandaid all at once, so to speak, or you'll end up with a headache taking all the roundabout passages trying to get him to eat a certain way...a hungry snake will take whatever is offered to them.

Temperature is also important for this species - I keep my BRBs slightly warmer than is typically recommended to aid in digestion. If you keep them too cool you get gross twisted, mucusy capsules. Raise the temps a couple degrees, and you'll get normal-looking feces. My ambients sit at 79-83F with a hot spot of 86-87F.

Quote:
Earlier this week, I brought in a zoo med nano with a 40w ceramic heater to raise Jerkface's (yes, his name is now Jerkface) ambient temp from 74 (room temp at my house) to 78 degrees. This decision was based on a thread I found here from several years ago about a CRB with similar feeding issues that were resolved with higher ambients. I also moved him into a proper 10 gallon viv. Once the ambient temp came up, he immediately got more active and stopped staying in his hides 24/7.

Decided to try the deli cup method for feeding tonight because Monday is when I feed my BP. I put Jerkface into a deli cup sized rubbermaid container with an f/t pinky instead of the live ones I've been offering because I am not going through that again.

He ignored the pinky for several hours and eventually I covered the viv with a towel because my cats were being too nosy. Sometime in the last few hours he must have eaten the pinky because it's not in the deli cup anymore. So, as in the thread with the CRB, higher ambients than room temperature again seem to have made the difference.

And the deli cup.

And covering the Little Prince's viv.

He's still a pain in the butt.
Great to hear! I'd raise the ambients even further, as per my advise above in this reply, and go ahead and try a fuzzy. 74F is entirely too cold to be keeping a BRB, and 78F is even a tad on the cool side, especially if a nice high hot spot is not being offered.
Old 03-21-18, 06:26 AM   #8
IDvsEGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
Pinkies are not very nutritious, the sooner it gets on bigger prey the better. Even doubling or tripling the pinkies won't do much towards providing enough nutrition for a growing baby rainbow, and he may stay at his current weight or even lose weight eating the meals he currently is. OP posted a picture of the pinks, and they're barely the size of the snake's head.
I agree but sometimes getting the snake on a regular feeding pattern takes precedence. Minimizing change helps that. Once the snake is feeding regularly then make the change. Eating a pinky is more nutritious than refusing a fuzzy.
1.0 Cinnamon Ball Python (Wedjet) | 0.1 Arabesque Red Tail Boa (Gorgon) | 0.1 Albino Honduran Milk snake (Scylla) | 0.0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa (Iris) | 0.0.2 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Destiny & Chico) | 0.0.1 Brooks Kingsnake (Mikey) | 0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Jangles) | 0.0.1 Crested Gecko (Squirt) | 0.1 Tangerine Leopard Gecko (Golly)
Old 03-22-18, 10:39 PM   #9
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post
I agree but sometimes getting the snake on a regular feeding pattern takes precedence. Minimizing change helps that. Once the snake is feeding regularly then make the change. Eating a pinky is more nutritious than refusing a fuzzy.
I'd honestly argue it's more stressful to try making so many changes to their diet in such a short time, and that a pink is barely better than eating nothing at all. The snake could potentially not grow or even lose mass eating pinkies.
Old 03-22-18, 11:15 PM   #10
phenyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnakegirl785 View Post
especially if a nice high hot spot is not being offered.
He has a hot spot that's 87 degrees.

I had been thinking of offering a fuzzie at his next feed, but there's been so much debate about how much and how often to feed and the math you're supposed to do to figure out

(1/3% X WTF^2)
Air-Speed Velocity of an Unladen Swallow

that I don't know what I'm supposed to feed anymore.

BigSnakeGirl, you seem to be very knowledgeable about Boas. May I PM you?
Login to remove ads
Old 03-23-18, 01:16 AM   #11
bigsnakegirl785

Quote:
He has a hot spot that's 87 degrees.

I had been thinking of offering a fuzzie at his next feed, but there's been so much debate about how much and how often to feed and the math you're supposed to do to figure out

(1/3% X WTF^2)
Air-Speed Velocity of an Unladen Swallow

that I don't know what I'm supposed to feed anymore.

BigSnakeGirl, you seem to be very knowledgeable about Boas. May I PM you?
Sure, go ahead!

I'll also go ahead and publicly put on record...if you're basing this reply off of that post by BallBuster7653, do not get too worked up over the maths of it all. It's really not as complicated as they're trying to make it out to be, and they're vastly overestimating what their snake needs to grow and thrive. They also don't seem very experienced with the species they're trying to create this feeding regimen for, so I'd take their advice with a grain of salt.

Now, in my experience with my BRBs, they do seem to have a higher metabolism than boa constrictors, or at least a need for slightly more food. I feed the same sized meals, proportionate to their girth, just slightly more often. I like to give my BRBs meals that just barely leave a noticeable bulge, if you can pinpoint the bulge yourself but a stranger can't see it without pointing it out, it's perfect. If a stranger can tell it ate even without being told, the meal was too large...

For frequency, I do find 7-10 days to be more preferable for this species vs the 10-14 days for boa constrictors...I also maintain that until they're at least 2 years old. At that point, they're moved to a 14 day schedule, and as adults I have been advised to feed every 3-4 weeks when feeding meals roughly the same size as their girth.

Now, I do allow for the occasional larger meal, so no sweat if that happens. Just wait an extra week or two before you offer food again, and feed a smaller prey size. Feed your boa as per its individual needs, which will only come with experience. It is ok if you don't get feeding exactly 100% correct and on the dot. These guys are resilient, and as long as adjustments are being made to feeding regimens, they will bounce back from any under or overfeeding. It's when you continue to feed too much or too little over long periods of time that it becomes an issue...

I'm sure even that all looks pretty intimidating as a new owner, but just breathe and relax. Take it one step at a time, and you'll get there. In the meantime, any mistakes you make feeding won't harm your snake.
Old 03-10-18, 11:20 PM   #12
phenyx

My selection at the feeder shop was limited and someone, bigsnakegirl I think, who commented on my last post (my apologies I'm really terrible with names) said that pinkies were basically just bags of water and that, from the picture I posted he was of a size to handle fuzzies. The one he has now is a peach fuzzie and it's the same weight/size as the previous pinky was so I didn't think it'd be too big a difference.
Old 03-11-18, 07:40 AM   #13
Jim Smith

Perhaps he just wasn't hungry yet. I have three BRBs and they are all fantastic eaters. While I love to have all my snakes on the same feeding schedule, they don't always cooperate. Give him a few more days between feedings. Also, consider switching to F/T as they are MUCH easier to maintain
Old 03-11-18, 09:02 PM   #14
phenyx

Unhappy Re: Another week, another snuggle buddy.

I don't have a problem feeding live as long as the snake gets things over quickly enough that the prey doesn't suffer. What I have a problem with is a live peach fuzzie slowly starving to death because this jerk of a snake won't eat it. After more than 48 hours I finally put the dying fuzzie in a ziplock bag and into the freezer to put it out of its misery.

I am not the right owner for this snake.

Is there anyone here in the Tampa Bay Area that would like a baby BRB?
Old 03-11-18, 09:10 PM   #15
IDvsEGO

Quote:
I don't have a problem feeding live as long as the snake gets things over quickly enough that the prey doesn't suffer. What I have a problem with is a live peach fuzzie slowly starving to death because this jerk of a snake won't eat it. After more than 48 hours I finally put the dying fuzzie in a ziplock bag and into the freezer to put it out of its misery.

I am not the right owner for this snake.

Is there anyone here in the Tampa Bay Area that would like a baby BRB?
I will be in st Pete at the end of the month. Pm me.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread