border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-17, 07:14 PM   #1
ttreptile1

If this was your cage...

If this was your cage, what would you keep in it?

I recently adopted out the GTP I had been keeping in it and I am looking for a new challenge. I am interested in what other species I could keep in this cage? I am open to anything. I have been keeping reptiles for 30 plus years and have a ton of experience. So I am literally open to anything except venomous species. I am also open to modifications to fit a certain species.

It's a 28"x28"x48" custom acrylic on a custom stand. It has a built in misting system, ceramic heat on a thermostat and a ventilation fan also working off of that thermostat.

Thoughts?

Last edited by ttreptile1; 04-16-17 at 07:30 PM..
Login to remove ads
Old 04-16-17, 07:39 PM   #2
trailblazer295

Re: If this was your cage...

A vine snake would be a cool addition, amazon tree boa, chameleons.
Old 04-16-17, 07:45 PM   #3
Scubadiver59

My ex-wives...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer295 View Post
A vine snake would be a cool addition, amazon tree boa, chameleons.
Old 04-16-17, 07:52 PM   #4
ttreptile1

I had thought about a pair of Panther chameleons , but I worried that the ventilation would not be enough for that species. Most keepers I know keep them in open air cages for mass air flow. This cage is more balanced to hold heat and humidty in.
Old 04-16-17, 08:06 PM   #5
Tiny Boidae

Have you maybe considered red-tailed rat snakes? I personally have no experience with the species, but it seems like an attractive choice for the cage. I know it's what I would put in there
Login to remove ads
Old 04-16-17, 08:07 PM   #6
sattva

Without a doubt a Jungle Carpet Python... I just love my guy and that would be a great cage for a JCP... He would need some hiding places...
Leon- 1.0 Lemon Ball, aka Russo Het White Diamond Ball Python... Crystal's boyfriend...
Old 04-16-17, 08:12 PM   #7
ttreptile1

I did research red tailed rats in the past for the cage but the overall thought was they would get to long to live comfortably in the cage for life. I did consider a jungle carpet and even a irian jaya. I kept and bred both a long time ago. My irians were almost all completely arboreal while the jungles never used their vertical branches. I also had a Madagascar tree boa (like 20 years ago). One of the coolest arboreal snakes I ever had the pleasure to work with. Puppy tame and looked like it crawled out the prehistoric past.
Old 04-17-17, 03:50 AM   #8
dannybgoode

ATB for sure.-awesome creatures. A vine snake or red tail rat needs much more horizontal room-they're both pretty active snakes.

May be an IJ carpet but personally I'd want at least 3' in one of the horizontal dimensions. Agree re them being pretty arboreal by nature but would still want a bit more width.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 04-18-17, 12:25 AM   #9
toddnbecka

Decent size enclosure for a Dominican mountain boa. They're semi-arboreal, and given the option seldom spend much time on the substrate. Much better disposition than a GTP, lol.
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 04-18-17, 05:22 AM   #10
ttreptile1

Thanks! I will give the Dominican mountain boa a look over. I am also considering cat eyed snakes, green bush rat snakes and a couple others. It's sort of a specialty cage and the tall size really limits me. It's a shame really. Such a nice cage with little options.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-18-17, 12:46 PM   #11
dannybgoode

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
Decent size enclosure for a Dominican mountain boa. They're semi-arboreal, and given the option seldom spend much time on the substrate. Much better disposition than a GTP, lol.
Great choice. I forgot you keep these. A final bucket list snake for me and so hard to find in the UK...
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 04-18-17, 07:56 AM   #12
Jim Smith

If you're open to other animals, there are some very interesting and beautiful exotic frogs that would do well in that cage as well. Just a thought...
Old 04-18-17, 08:12 AM   #13
ttreptile1

Do tell Jim, I am open to anything (within financial reason). I have also learned due to the air intake and good air exchange, chameleons are not out of the question either.

I am not looking to breed. I just want a family pet/center piece for the living room where the cage currently resides. I would prefer something that is more interactive that would permit handling (albeit not a lot). I already have an adult pair of Olive pythons and a pair of sulcata tortoises for more intense hang out sessions, lol.
Old 04-18-17, 10:28 AM   #14
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Paradise flying snakes
Rough or smooth green snakes (Can tolerate some handling but rather quick and flightly, also insect eaters!)
Cat eye snakes (although rear fanged)

Frog wise:

Monkey tree frogs are the first to come to mind (small, small amounts of handling)
Red eye tree frogs (but no handling)
Various gecko species
Old 04-18-17, 10:29 AM   #15
akane

Lots of things I don't think about so can't name off the top of my head because I don't want to spend the money on that type of setup or the effort to build one in order to achieve those conditions.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread