border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Elaphe Guttata Guttata

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-15, 08:22 AM   #1
Zombina

My new corn snake, Aztec

I should say new to me, since he's about 7 years old. I got him just yesterday from someone who was moving and could no longer care for him. I was surprised to find that the previous owner never used a heat pad, and she admitted that since she had her child she hadn't been playing with him much. I let him adjust for 5 or 6 hours in our home before feeding him, since she said hadn't fed him prior to moving him out so he wouldn't stress and regurgitate. I was afraid he might not take to the mouse if he was nervous, but he took to it straight away. I decided to let him rest a day or so before I tried to take him out to see him closely. I got him used to my touch before removing him from the tank, and I found black spots on his belly and sides. I've never owned a snake before, so I was concerned it might be scale rot. I found some photos online of scale rot and it doesn't really look like that. The black spots are smooth, and there's no redness or inflammation. He's also a big fan of bumping his nose into the glass. Should I be concerned?

I received a 20 gallon tank and all of it's contents from the owner as well. I've already got a heat pad, carpet, and thermometer coming in the mail (yay prime!) He's currently residing in the bathroom, where it's warmest in the house, since we have no heat source for him yet, and it's chilly everywhere else in our small Colorado condo. Any other suggestions?

(Photos after I pass required post count)
Login to remove ads
Old 02-17-15, 10:53 AM   #2
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness
Re: My new corn snake, Aztec

Sounds like you've done pretty well! Congrats on the new addition. I'm sure someone will chime in shortly regarding the spots.

Welcome to Ssnakess!

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 02-17-15, 11:19 AM   #3
Zombina

Thanks!
Old 02-17-15, 11:21 AM   #4
Zombina

Old 02-17-15, 11:28 AM   #5
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Welcome and congrats on your new corn Z. I'm not sure about the black spots but it doesn't look like scale rot to me. The main thing is to work on getting your husbandry dialed in. Once you get your thermostat (not a thermometer) and under tank heater the temps should be somewhere between 86-88 on the warm side. The low to mid 70's is fine for the cool side and ambient humidity should be ok. Do you have hides on the hot & cool sides of your enclosure? That's important too. Best wishes.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Login to remove ads
Old 02-17-15, 12:01 PM   #6
Zombina

I'll move the hides once I get heat under one side. Thanks for the help. c:
Old 02-17-15, 01:26 PM   #7
herplover

Those spots dont look like scale rot. Justs looks like his colouration. Not uncommon on corns.
Old 02-17-15, 03:40 PM   #8
Zombina

I didn't think it looked bad but I wanted to be sure. Thanks for reassuring me!
Old 03-04-15, 12:17 AM   #9
Zombina

Hey again, guys! Another question for you all. A few days ago I noticed that Aztec's belly scales were starting to peel a bit. I read online that it might happen a few days before shedding in drier climates. But it's been almost a week and it doesn't seem like he's going into shed yet, and even some of the scales on his head are starting to peel a bit. He's not behaving abnormally, but I'm concerned. Any advice?
Old 03-04-15, 09:37 AM   #10
Rattlehead

What's your humidity in the tank? Would it be the first shed since you own him?
Login to remove ads
Old 03-04-15, 06:42 PM   #11
Zombina

I couldn't say what the humidity was. I'm in Colorado, so it's always dry. His former owner never even had a heating pad for him, let alone a humidity system. It would be his first shed with me, though I did see shed in the tank when I came to get him.
Old 03-05-15, 12:08 AM   #12
Rattlehead

Maybe it's skin from a previous incomplete shed. Try soaking him in water for a few minutes, if it's a big portion of old skin. If it's not that bad you could wait the next shed. Consider a visit to the vet just to check that the lil' fella is healthy
Old 03-05-15, 12:47 AM   #13
Zombina

Will do. Thanks, Rattle. c:
Old 03-09-15, 03:27 AM   #14
Zombina

He started going into shed today. All is well. Hooray!
Old 03-12-15, 10:30 PM   #15
Zombina

Yesterday Aztec finally started peeling, and the shed is nearly completely off except for a little bit at the end of his tail. So it's about 16% - 20% humidity in the tank, I discovered, and I know that's pretty darn low. As you can see, the shed came in pieces. I gave him a larger dish of water over the heat so he could soak more easily, but he would never stay in it for longer than a minute. I read that sheds that don't come off whole can mean there is a nutrition or dryness issue. While I know there is a humidity problem, should I be concerned about nutrition? I feed him a medium mouse every 5 or 6 days, and he's going right back to his normal active self.

Thanks for your help, guys. c:

Login to remove ads
Closed Thread