border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-15, 02:45 PM   #1
Marshallarts

Plastic caging benefits?

I'd like to know the benefits of plastic caging. Plastic cages confuse me because I don't understand how they hold humidity, and I also don't get how heating devices don't melt the plastic. If you guys could help me out with this that would've great.

On a side note, is a 24"x24"x12" (29gal) big enough for a ball python to spend the rest of its life?
Login to remove ads
Old 01-07-15, 03:02 PM   #2
Cmwells90

Re: Plastic caging benefits?

If I'm not mistaken, they usually PVC plastic, which is very heat resistant. It holds humidity because there's little circulation expcept for how large you open the vent, so there's less chance for the humid air to leave the cage.
Old 01-07-15, 03:10 PM   #3
SnoopySnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmwells90 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, they usually PVC plastic, which is very heat resistant. It holds humidity because there's little circulation expcept for how large you open the vent, so there's less chance for the humid air to leave the cage.
This. Also any heat sources shouldn't be reaching temps high enough to melt plastic.

I don't believe a 29 gal. is large enough for an adult bp as they can reach 5ft but hopefully someone else will chime in on that.
Old 01-07-15, 03:13 PM   #4
Mikoh4792

2x2x12'' is too small for an adult ball python. Years back I used to have one in a 4x2x2 ft cage and it used every inch. I think the minimum should be 3x2 ft of floorspace.

It does not matter what material you use, it's how the cage is made. Plastic cages usually do not have screen tops like glass tanks and exo terra cages do. Plastic cages usually have solid tops which aid in retaining humidity a considerable amount.

PVC, ABS, and HDPE will not melt when used with most heat sources. Heat tape/mats are usually set to no more than 90-100F in most cases and that's just fine against these plastics. Radiant heat panels are also a common heat source for plastic caging(for overhead heat) and those too do not get very hot. You could use heat lamps but you would need to cut a hole, or have one cut by the builder on the top and install a metal screen to rest the heat lamp. If the lamp does not come in close contact with the plastic there isn't much risk of it melting. I always use radiant heat panels and heat mats over heat lamps or heat tape. Ultra-therm(brand name) heat mats on their own(without the use of thermostats even though this is NOT reccomended) do not get hot enough to burn or melt plastic.
Old 01-07-15, 03:55 PM   #5
millertime89
Forum Moderator

2x2x12 is fine for an animal under 4ft in length. Will they use more space if given? Yes, but it's not necessary.

The plastic cages can melt but only under extremely high heat. I had one start to melt when I accidentally had a 150W bulb touch it while experimenting with different setups, but that's the only time it has happened. I prefer to run heat tape with a t-stat, but you have to find what works for you. Ultratherms and heat mats are just fancy versions of heat tape and I see no reason to spend the extra money when you can order the heat tape cut and assembled correctly straight from Reptile Basics.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-07-15, 09:47 PM   #6
Marshallarts

So plastic tanks hold heat and humidity better because they don't have a screen top. Correct? I'm going to make a table here about the pros and cons of both plastic and glass tanks. Please feel free to include anything I'm missing.

Plastic: Pros:
-all sides are covered(makes snakes feel secure)
-little ventilation keeps in heat and humidity
-cheaper option for those who keep multiple snakes
-lightweight

Cons:
-not nice to look at
-little to no ventilation (snakes have to breathe too!)
-not much variety(they all look the same)

Glass: Pros:
-appealing
-multiple doors(easy access)
-plenty of different types/models to choose from
-cheaper ( at least cheaper where I'm from)
-holds heat very well (others might not agree, but that's just common sense)
-good ventilation

Cons:
-screen top(low humidity)
-heavy
-not much coverage/background( though some do)
Old 01-07-15, 10:13 PM   #7
pet_snake_78

I would be surprised if a glass tank holds heat well and I think the ventilation would be way too good resulting in humidity problems unless you have a very humid house year round or you're keeping species that need a super low humidity. I've kept lizards in them before. However, I used a powerful light (40watt I think) and I am quite sure the humidity was low but these were desert species that needed very high basking temperatures. If you cover the lid of a glass tank, sunlight could overheat the cage easily similar to what can happen with a car. The same almost happened to me when sun shined in through the glass front of a pvc cage.
Old 01-07-15, 10:24 PM   #8
Marshallarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pet_snake_78 View Post
. If you cover the lid of a glass tank, sunlight could overheat the cage easily similar to what can happen with a car. The same almost happened to me when sun shined in through the glass front of a pvc cage.
Luckily the tank is in the basement, so there is almost no sunlight shining In.
Old 01-07-15, 10:38 PM   #9
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

I don't have any issues with my glass tanks and recently found that if I cut a measured bit of rubber shelving liner and put it on top of the screen with just the edges allowes for breathing, it holds humidity really well! Too well for my MBK so I folded it in half to allow more breathing space. Perfect now. =)
Old 01-07-15, 10:48 PM   #10
Marshallarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkness View Post
I don't have any issues with my glass tanks and recently found that if I cut a measured bit of rubber shelving liner and put it on top of the screen with just the edges allowes for breathing, it holds humidity really well! Too well for my MBK so I folded it in half to allow more breathing space. Perfect now. =)
Good tip! I just use a towel, but maybe I will have to try this out!
Login to remove ads
Old 01-07-15, 10:39 PM   #11
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Oh, I guess I should mention that I think my tanks are actually acrylic not glass...but not 100% sure about that.
Old 01-07-15, 11:09 PM   #12
Stewjoe

I'll never go back to glass.
Lighter, better humidity, easily stack-able, better heat retention, better security and way nicer than glass.

Old 01-08-15, 12:17 AM   #13
Jrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewjoe View Post
I'll never go back to glass.
Lighter, better humidity, easily stack-able, better heat retention, better security and way nicer than glass.

Where did you get these?!!!! Or did you make them yourself.
Old 01-08-15, 07:59 AM   #14
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshallarts View Post
So plastic tanks hold heat and humidity better because they don't have a screen top. Correct? I'm going to make a table here about the pros and cons of both plastic and glass tanks. Please feel free to include anything I'm missing.

Plastic: Pros:
-all sides are covered(makes snakes feel secure)
-little ventilation keeps in heat and humidity
-cheaper option for those who keep multiple snakes
-lightweight

Cons:
-not nice to look at
-little to no ventilation (snakes have to breathe too!)
-not much variety(they all look the same)

Glass: Pros:
-appealing
-multiple doors(easy access)
-plenty of different types/models to choose from
-cheaper ( at least cheaper where I'm from)
-holds heat very well (others might not agree, but that's just common sense)
-good ventilation

Cons:
-screen top(low humidity)
-heavy
-not much coverage/background( though some do)
Many plastic cages come with vents in them specifically for air flow and then you can cover them. The same can be said with aquariums, you can easily cover the screen to control air flow and circulation and reduce/restrict heat/humidity losses.

Furthermore plastic caging not looking good is an opinion. Many people decorate them the exact same way that they would an aquarium and many people (myself included) feel they look far more clean and professional.

Glass is NOT a good insulator. I'm not sure how it's common sense. Air is a good insulator, that's why double pane windows and those plastic cups with an inner and outer sleeve work so well. An air pocket makes a fairly good insulator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrich View Post
Where did you get these?!!!! Or did you make them yourself.
The appear to be animal plastics or boaphile cages.
Old 01-07-15, 11:16 PM   #15
Minkness
Forum Moderator

I swear by shelving liner lol

I use it under the substrate as well to help diffuse the heat from the uth and prevent hot spots while also using it as an easy way to pick up substrate since all I have to do us pull the corners up and it makes a bowl lol.

I haven't tried gluing it the back and sides yet for more 'enclosure' though. I like using aquarium backgrounds for that, though it would probably further help insulate.

AND it's antibacterial!

Seriously amazing stuff o.o
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread