border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > General Colubrid Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-13, 05:11 PM   #1
NimbleHand48

Black Rat snake?

Im thinking about getting a black rat, elaphe obsoleta, and I have some questions. Are they as docile as common morph corns? Ive heard both ways. They are tree climbers, right? So how tall of a cage do I need? As far far as temp and humidity Im guessing it would need 70-85F, and 50-80% percent like most colubrids right? Would it be okay to have some live plants and such? Do they need uv? How much? As far as feeding, a med rat once a week until age 4 or 5, then every two weeks? should I start the hatchling on something smaller?
Login to remove ads
Old 06-18-13, 07:28 PM   #2
smy_749

Re: Black Rat snake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NimbleHand48 View Post
Im thinking about getting a black rat, elaphe obsoleta, and I have some questions. Are they as docile as common morph corns? Ive heard both ways. They are tree climbers, right? So how tall of a cage do I need? As far far as temp and humidity Im guessing it would need 70-85F, and 50-80% percent like most colubrids right? Would it be okay to have some live plants and such? Do they need uv? How much? As far as feeding, a med rat once a week until age 4 or 5, then every two weeks? should I start the hatchling on something smaller?
I don't know about the husbandry of them, as I've never kept them in captivity. However they are native here in CT, and I would say they are a bit feistier than corns without a doubt (they are rats afterall) but nothing like red tails or anything.
Old 06-18-13, 07:28 PM   #3
Starbuck

lol i dont know how much luck you would have feeding a hatchling rat snake a medium rat.... :P

i'd start it on rat pups/med mice whatever size is appropriate (slightly larger around than the snake), and graduate your prey size as he grows.

As for cage dimension specifics, i've never kept an arborial colubrid, so someone else will have to chime in...
0.1 Jungle Carpet "Bhageera", 2.0 Corn snakes "Castor & Pollux", 1.1 Cal Kings "Lux & Nyx", 0.1 Honduran Milksnake "Demeter", 0.1 Rosy boa "Neki-monster", 1.0 Axolotl "Grendle", 2 tarantulas, 0.1 Leopard gecko "Remus", and a freezer full of mice (and Rats!)….
Old 06-18-13, 07:30 PM   #4
smy_749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
lol i dont know how much luck you would have feeding a hatchling rat snake a medium rat.... :P

i'd start it on rat pups/med mice whatever size is appropriate (slightly larger around than the snake), and graduate your prey size as he grows.

As for cage dimension specifics, i've never kept an arborial colubrid, so someone else will have to chime in...
I don't think black rats are 'arboreal' species per say. They can be found dwelling pretty much any habitat, trees being just one of them though they are great climbers.
Old 06-18-13, 07:45 PM   #5
Amadeus
Banned

If the snake is native to your area it should be very easy to maintain with only a a heat mat and thermostat. Humidity shouldn't even be an issue.

Derp... Lives in salt lake city, srry
Login to remove ads
Old 06-18-13, 08:12 PM   #6
NimbleHand48

Yeah I dont think I would find one in Utah. I used to live in Indiana, and i would see them sometimes there. For feeding, I really wasnt planning on med rats from the start, I dont know why i wrote that lol. Im going to be getting a captive bred hatchling, so Im not too worried about temperament. I worked at a pet store for a little while, so i have some basic experience.
Old 06-18-13, 08:37 PM   #7
Mikoh4792

Quote:
You could still make use of a 1 foot high enclosure by providing branches. Although if I were keeping a black rat(which I may soon), I would give my adult 3 feet of climbing space. Just to give it the option of climbing if it wants to.
Old 06-19-13, 12:25 AM   #8
NimbleHand48

[QUOTE]I would give my adult 3 feet of climbing space. Just to give it the option of climbing if it wants[QUOTE] Yeah, we're going to try for three to four feet of vertical space.

How do you figure out how much space the adult will need? Is there a formula that goes by size, or does each species have its own requirements?
Old 06-19-13, 01:21 AM   #9
Mikoh4792

[QUOTE=NimbleHand48;847425][QUOTE]I would give my adult 3 feet of climbing space. Just to give it the option of climbing if it wants
Quote:
Yeah, we're going to try for three to four feet of vertical space.

How do you figure out how much space the adult will need? Is there a formula that goes by size, or does each species have its own requirements?
I don't figure out lol. I can never give it as much space as it would optimally use in it's natural habitat. 3 feet of height is just the size I would decide to give it. You can give it more or less as long as it works for the snake. I'll be doing more research of my own anyways so my decision can always change after I learn what's best for it.
Old 06-19-13, 03:24 AM   #10
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

[QUOTE=NimbleHand48;847425][QUOTE]I would give my adult 3 feet of climbing space. Just to give it the option of climbing if it wants
Quote:
Yeah, we're going to try for three to four feet of vertical space.

Personally i would give as much space as you efficiently can
Login to remove ads
Old 06-19-13, 10:55 AM   #11
Zoo Nanny

When I worked at the zoo we had a Black Rat Snake. It was kept in a 3x4x6 area and used every inch of it. One of the most active snakes I've ever dealt with. I would say that at least 75% of his time was spent climbing.
Old 06-19-13, 05:06 PM   #12
StudentoReptile

They will definitely use every bit of the habitat. Most members of E. obsoleta are naturally a bit more fiestier and highstrung than the typical cornsnake, but they can mellow out fairly quickly.
Old 06-20-13, 12:29 AM   #13
NimbleHand48

Okay, well the reason I asked that was becauae I was wondering what the minimal requirements are as far as space. But I guess lots of snakes are kept in rubbermaid tubs and stuff like that.

What is the best way to hook up heating and lighting? Ive been looking at various thermostats and heating methods, but I would like some feedback. Ive always just used a zoomed UTH and plugged it into a power strip, but now Im learning that its not the safest way to do it? Im on a tight budget, so RBI heating systems are a little out of reach right now. Do I need to provide UV?
Old 06-20-13, 12:52 AM   #14
Mikoh4792

Quote:
Okay, well the reason I asked that was becauae I was wondering what the minimal requirements are as far as space. But I guess lots of snakes are kept in rubbermaid tubs and stuff like that.

What is the best way to hook up heating and lighting? Ive been looking at various thermostats and heating methods, but I would like some feedback. Ive always just used a zoomed UTH and plugged it into a power strip, but now Im learning that its not the safest way to do it? Im on a tight budget, so RBI heating systems are a little out of reach right now. Do I need to provide UV?
Depends on the conditions of your house really. You may need more than just an UTH if your house gets cold or you just don't use the heater during the Winter.

Right now I have my terrestrial snakes on UTH's and arboreal/semi-arboreal snakes under heat lamps.

In a year or so I will move all of them to plastic enclosures with both belly heat and radiant heat panels.(I'll use RHP as main source, and belly heat as supplemental heat during winter when the ambient air temperatures drop.

You said you are on a budget. You could just use an UTH or a heat lamp as long as it provides a good thermal gradiant across the enclosure. Budget or no budget you'll still need to control the heat with a thermostat.

I'm not an expert with snakes and lighting but I think most keepers agree that most snakes don't require UV. I still use uv lighting but for lighting purposes only.
Old 06-20-13, 02:34 PM   #15
NimbleHand48

Ok, Im planning on getting a thermostat. Im used to using uths paired with heat lamps, but I thought Id explore some options. On another note, do black rats need a brumation(hibernation) period in the winter?
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
colubrid