border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Regius

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-12, 12:31 PM   #1
minaa

Unhappy Worries

So, I've been lurking a bit. My ball refuses to eat more than once every three weeks or so. She's in a better enclosure now, with a better heat source (under-tank heater, rubbermaid container with holes drilled into it, paper towels as substrate, fresh water). Humidity is consistent and the temperature is low-mid 80s.

I am concerned that she doesn't eat often.She isn't growing very fast (I got her last fall, she's at *least* eight months old) as a result. Note: I know this is controversial, but I did this as a worried snake mom. I know she should be eating more, and this is my last resort.Paper bag method didn't work. So, I tried assist-feeding her. I attempted this a few months ago, and that didn't work either. Her last shed was not good (a few soaks and damp towel rubs helped things along).

Now, I'm prepared to stop attempting this, because it hasn't worked. I feel like I'm coming to my wits end with this particular snake, as I can't seem to do right by her. Please, can I get encouragement and support? I need to regain her "trust" as the assist-feeds always seem very stressful for snakes, either for my own or for the ones I've seen on youtube.

I enjoy snakes so much, and she's my first real snake (my last one only stayed with me for a few months before getting passed on to another owner).
Login to remove ads
Old 03-21-12, 12:37 PM   #2
alessia55
Retired Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alessia55
Re: Worries

How much does she weigh?
What have you been offering her? Mice? Rats? F/t? Live? In the enclosure or outside of it?
You mentioned bad sheds- what's the humidity % in her enclosure?
Temps should be 87ish on the hot side (you mentioned mid/low 80s, so bump that up).
You mentioned she has paper and water dish in the enclosure. Does she have two hides?
If she's eating every 3 weeks, there is no need to assist feed. This is VERY stressful, especially for young snakes, and isn't necessary unless the snake is young or very, very thin. In my honest opinion, don't assist feed anymore. Keep offering food every 10 days and keep good records of her eating pattern. It would help if you could give us the current weight of your snake too.
Old 03-21-12, 06:06 PM   #3
minaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by alessia55 View Post
How much does she weigh?
What have you been offering her? Mice? Rats? F/t? Live? In the enclosure or outside of it?
You mentioned bad sheds- what's the humidity % in her enclosure?
Temps should be 87ish on the hot side (you mentioned mid/low 80s, so bump that up).
You mentioned she has paper and water dish in the enclosure. Does she have two hides?
If she's eating every 3 weeks, there is no need to assist feed. This is VERY stressful, especially for young snakes, and isn't necessary unless the snake is young or very, very thin. In my honest opinion, don't assist feed anymore. Keep offering food every 10 days and keep good records of her eating pattern. It would help if you could give us the current weight of your snake too.
I need to purchase a scale in order to give her weight, so that may be some time. She hides under the paper towels (granted, I have seen rack systems employ this method and you may disagree, but that's how I've based my idea that she didn't need a hide as much while in this smaller enclosure)--she's too big for her current hide and the other hide seems a bit large.

Edit: I don't mean to sound grumpy, I'm just stating what I've tried to make as decent observations while working under my constraints and still having a decent snake-owning experience while I still go through these learning stages.

Gungirl: Amazon.com: Quality Importers HygroSet II Round Digital Hygrometer for Humidors: Home & Kitchen is the one I'm thinking of, and for cheap it can be calibrated!

Last edited by minaa; 03-21-12 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: Extra thought
Old 03-21-12, 01:17 PM   #4
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

I feed my BP on a 2week then 3 week basis so i would say if it only eats every three weeks then nothing is wrong, definitely dont assist feed anymore.

I have hot end temps at 91f, and with a bad shed you can pretty much guarantee humidity is not high enough. I keep mine as 55% minimum and 65% minimum when he is in blue/shedding.
Old 03-21-12, 01:30 PM   #5
jaleely
Member of the family

what alessia said *nod nod*
27 snakes (7 sand boas, 4 hognose, 5 ball pythons, 1 bolivian boa, 2 dumeril's boas, 2 carpet pythons, 5 garters, 1 corn snake), 1 cave spider, 9 tarantulas, 1 tokay gecko, 2 dogs, 2 frogs, emperor scorpions 1,000 dubia roaches, & tons of fish.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-21-12, 01:33 PM   #6
mykee
Super Genius

Why you would assist feed a feeding ball python is beyond me!
Just because it's not eating as often as you like, isn't reason to assist feed.
You've likely stressed this animal out so much that you will most definitely have issues for some time to come.
If it eats once every three weeks, then it eats every three weeks.

DON'T ASSIST FEED ANYMORE!!!

Now, to your solution;
Number one reason why a ball python won't eat consistently: bad husbandry.
Get her environment suitable so that she'll WANT to eat again. If she had a bad shed, you're not providing proper husbandry.
Fix your husbandry issues, chances are this animal will again begin to eat on it's own.

Last edited by mykee; 03-21-12 at 01:41 PM..
Old 03-21-12, 01:59 PM   #7
mattchibi

Pictures would help.

Assist feeding should be a LAST RESORT. If you have tried everything that people have said above (live, pk, f/t, mice, rats, asf's, braining, pre-scenting, leaving it in the tub in the dark, etc), then please watch this video before you try again. But really, you shouldnt have to assist feed if its already eating on its own. Just keep offering every 7 days and your snake will get the idea soon enough.

Old 03-21-12, 04:36 PM   #8
Gungirl
Diesel the pumpkin killer

I have to say I don't think you should EVER force feed a Royal. Double check everything about your set up and wait them out. Offer food once every 10-14 days and eventually it will eat. Don't handle the snake at all until it is eating.
Old 03-21-12, 05:05 PM   #9
Skits

As long as your snake isn't underweight or dehydrated looking, I wouldn't worry too much. Feed her as many times as she will eat and you can slowly try moving the time periods between each feeding to be shorter and shorter. As everyone said, don't force feed as it causes way too much stress on a snake. Also be sure to raise the humidity in the tank, bad sheds can result to a snake not eating properly or refusing food.
3.0.0 dogs - 6.3.0 cats - 2.5.8 tarantulas - 0.1.0 skink - 1.0.0 beardie - 1.1.7 snakes - 0.0.3 scorpions - 0.1.0 leopard geckos - 0.0.1 crested - 1.1.0 golden geckos - 2.0.0 uros - 3.2.0 turtles - 0.1.0 toad - 0.0.3 black moors
Old 03-21-12, 05:28 PM   #10
minaa

I agree that this isn't working and is stressing her out, so yeah. I will not be doing it any more (scout's honor). She has been in this new cage for over a week now, and the humidity has been higher and consistent over all. Temperature has been higher, feels warm to my hands, and when I feel her she has good belly warmth and activity. I'm not trusting the stupid little humidity and temp gauge I have right now, as they're the stick-on ones from petco. I am moneyless (not food-less) 'til next week, so I'll have to work on this sort of system until I can get proper equip.

I've also noticed that the large mice do not smell very good, and I've wondered about their freshness causing any problems. They haven't thawed since I bought them, but it's an odd thing--she'll snap up the ones that don't smell bad at all.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-21-12, 05:32 PM   #11
Gungirl

Don't bother offering food until you know the temps and humidity 100%. Go get yourself a temp gun you will be thankful later on. Search around you can find them from $10-$200 and more. They work amazing!
Old 03-21-12, 06:02 PM   #12
minaa

I'll pick up a new heat mat, perhaps with the temp gun, along with the humidity gauge? Amazon has good prices, and I know these heat mats need an eye kept on them.
Old 03-25-12, 09:14 AM   #13
Wolfus_305

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaa View Post
I'll pick up a new heat mat, perhaps with the temp gun, along with the humidity gauge? Amazon has good prices, and I know these heat mats need an eye kept on them.

Does this mean that your heat mat is not on a thermostat?
Old 03-21-12, 06:03 PM   #14
Gungirl

Don't get a dial humidity gauge get a digital one instead. They are 99% more accurate.
Old 03-25-12, 12:36 AM   #15
minaa

Hey everyone, I wanted to thank you all for your valuable input. My girl ate tonight. I think I'm going to attempt feeding again in two weeks at night, and if she doesn't eat, I'll wait until it looks like she's looking for food.

Alessia, she has one hide right now, and that will have to be what works, unfortunately, until I can get her a better enclosure (future plans). Hopefully the bigger reptile heater I'm ordering will take care of temperature consistency for her.

Does this sound acceptable?

Thanks again for all input!
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
first time owner, first time snake mom, panic