sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-12, 05:11 PM   #1
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

Medusa

Everyone, meet Medusa, my little yearling Albino Green Burm. When I first got her she was the typical Craigslist snake, underfed, mite infested and a hisser. Mite problem is gone now, she eats small rats on a regular consistant basis and is very handleable as you can see. I know she's still a bit small for her age but with regular feeding, she'll put on the size in no time. I plan on handling her a lot while she's still small. That way when she gets bigger, she will still be handleable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Medusa.jpg (22.6 KB, 370 views)
Login to remove ads
Old 08-16-12, 05:12 PM   #2
iBaman

Send a message via Skype™ to iBaman
Re: Medusa

beautiful girl! Sometimes, they're just hissy snakes...my retic hisses all the time, but he's completely calm. *shrug*
Old 08-16-12, 05:14 PM   #3
Kaetlinv

Very pretty. I wish you the best of luck!

I hear a lot about snakes getting mites - Are they really that easy for a snake to get? I've had snakes for about a year and a half now and neither of them have had this problem. Would that be because I don't let them roam around outside? (Not much to work with around my house, plantlife isn't well kept. lots of tall grass and weeds)
Old 08-16-12, 05:16 PM   #4
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

A lot of it is from cross contamination with other snakes, we have always had a policy that if we visit somewhere with reptiles whether its a shop or a private house when we return home we strip and put all clothes in the washer and then we shower before going near our own reptiles.

May be slightly extreme but we have had no mites in two years
Old 08-16-12, 05:21 PM   #5
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaetlinv View Post
Very pretty. I wish you the best of luck!

I hear a lot about snakes getting mites - Are they really that easy for a snake to get? I've had snakes for about a year and a half now and neither of them have had this problem. Would that be because I don't let them roam around outside? (Not much to work with around my house, plantlife isn't well kept. lots of tall grass and weeds)
Yes it is easy for snakes to get mites, usually in the way Rob describes it. They usually get it from other snakes. Fortunately, its completely treatable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankyrob View Post
A lot of it is from cross contamination with other snakes, we have always had a policy that if we visit somewhere with reptiles whether its a shop or a private house when we return home we strip and put all clothes in the washer and then we shower before going near our own reptiles.

I'm all about whatever works and if that works for you, then it's not extreme.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-26-13, 04:07 PM   #6
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

Quote:

i do the exact same Rob...

as soon as i walk through my front door,i strip off,hand my wife my clothes,to put in the washing machine...

then i do a streak upstairs to the shower

you'd think i'd been exposed to some chemical agent,glad it's not just me that does this mate

cheers shaun
Old 01-28-13, 10:27 AM   #7
Loucifer
Banned

Quote:

Aaaaagh!!! I went to my first reptile expo yesterday and didn't even think of this! I had no contact with my snake, tho. Or any contact with the show animals, just looked (if that matters any...)*Makes mental note!!!*
Old 08-16-12, 05:17 PM   #8
iBaman

same here, lanky rob! 3 years going mite-free. *knocks on wood*
Old 08-16-12, 05:20 PM   #9
Kaetlinv

oh wow. I've taken Valentine and Romeo both to petstores - granted both never get too close to any other animal and don't leave my shoulders. I've never seen mites, so i guess i've gotten lucky. I knew snakes could get mites, and I look for them regularly, but i hadn't seen any.

Just seems like most the snakes you see on craigslist end up having mites, at least it seems that way from the posts here. yikes
Old 08-16-12, 05:21 PM   #10
iBaman

well, if you think about it, the snakes on craigslist are unwanted, thus probably fairly un-cared for.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-16-12, 05:25 PM   #11
exwizard
Lord of the Dums

Quote:
oh wow. I've taken Valentine and Romeo both to petstores - granted both never get too close to any other animal and don't leave my shoulders. I've never seen mites, so i guess i've gotten lucky. I knew snakes could get mites, and I look for them regularly, but i hadn't seen any.

Just seems like most the snakes you see on craigslist end up having mites, at least it seems that way from the posts here. yikes
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBaman View Post
well, if you think about it, the snakes on craigslist are unwanted, thus probably fairly un-cared for.
That is`exactly right which was why I vowed earlier today never to get a Craigslist snake again.

Don't get me wrong. I don't regret getting Medusa. She is a very pretty snake and is getting better healthwise and temperamentwise all the time.
Old 08-16-12, 05:24 PM   #12
Kaetlinv

True. Poor things.

i did see one who was only put up because the owner was moving. Had very clear and detailed pictures - was a 4 foot male BP named Klaus - huge boy. This was before I'd gotten Romeo for my birthday that i saw his ad. I wanted to scoop him right up!

But I agree.... most are put on there because they're unwanted. it's a shame really. :/
Old 08-24-12, 07:03 PM   #13
snake man12
Banned

Quote:
True. Poor things.

i did see one who was only put up because the owner was moving. Had very clear and detailed pictures - was a 4 foot male BP named Klaus - huge boy. This was before I'd gotten Romeo for my birthday that i saw his ad. I wanted to scoop him right up!

But I agree.... most are put on there because they're unwanted. it's a shame really. :/
They all say they are moving and can't take it with them.
Old 10-17-13, 01:52 AM   #14
ErikBush97
Banned

Quote:
True. Poor things.

I'm in Oregon and thats weird!! I almost got Klaus o.o
Old 08-16-12, 09:49 PM   #15
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Wow Gary, great pickup, size and weight? She doesn't look too bad.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread