sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Regius

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-04, 12:11 AM   #1
Artemis

Send a message via AIM to Artemis
Time to go Shopping!!!

Oh my goodness, my snake suddenly got enormous on me. Its So amazing. Ive been trapped at work all week, and I have only been down to peek in and give him water and stuff. He came out tonight and I fed him, and he is absolutely girthy and fabulous looking all the sudden! I am going to have to go get him new hides tommorrow! He is all but outgrown the current ones!

So, I need cool medium sized hide ideas. I want them too look cool as well as be functional. The clay ones I have now hold both heat and humidity so well, and are so functional, that i hate to give them up. But i am afraid if he gets any bigger he will get stuck!

I dont necessarily mean commercial snake hides- just any neat ideas of things that would make good ones!

Thanks!!

Art
Login to remove ads
Old 07-18-04, 07:37 AM   #2
snakehunter

HEY YOUR IN VA WOW WHERE?

As for hides I went to Home depot, and use 4 in pvc pipe as one hide, and a clay one on the other, what size is you bp, that would help alot.

For my huge guy i bought cat litter pans and cut them in half. he really likes those hides i guess, but with his pan for water and his hides he hardly has any room. SO for him i dont have any hides, he's in a rubbermaid, and hardly ever gets handled etc.

Try going to a craft store or hardware store and walk around, somethings bound to jump out at you.
Old 07-18-04, 08:23 AM   #3
elevation24

I use plastic flower pot saucers (the green ones at Walmart) for my hides. They come in all sizes and work great! They are cheap, too! Not too cool looking, though
Old 07-18-04, 10:20 AM   #4
Bartman

Send a message via ICQ to Bartman
ive seen those rock hides and their expensive, about 50 bucks, but the look natural and are huge. I have a small one and my big bp can still fit in it.
Old 07-18-04, 02:07 PM   #5
latazyo

snakehunter offered very good advice

just walk around such stores and you can basically find a way to fit every item into a snake's cage or caging needs

things you would never think of to use for a snake will seem like a perfect hide
Login to remove ads
Old 07-18-04, 08:30 PM   #6
Artemis

Send a message via AIM to Artemis
Thats what Ive been trying to do- Ive struck gold with the ones I have, got em at the dollar tree, but he is outgrowing them much faster than I had anticipated. After his feed last night- I wasnt sure he was gonna make it back in there. He did, but only barely, and I think in another week or two it will be impossible!

I spent 3 hours in walmart today- (had to do grocery shopping anyways) and didnt see anything that struck my fancy. I refuse to pay the insane prices on those commerically made hides, too. Even though they look REALLY cool. I can imagine my husbands face if I buy a 50 dollar fake rock

I swear Im going to make hides that both look cool and are VERY functional, and sell them at a REASONABLE price! I love to show off my snake, and I like his hides to make him feel safe, as well as holding heat well.

Im about to bounce down to the Williamsburg pottery and find something cool! Its like ceramic hell, along with tons of other stuff. so im sure id find something neat looking that would function great, too.

Question about those plastic pot bottoms- doesnt the snake end up flipping them over a lot, even accidentally, because they are so lightweight? My snake can actually move his ceramic ones (and does), and so I figured anything very light wouldnt work for long!

And snakehunter- Im in southwest Virginia in Christiansburg. My husband and I both work for Virginia Tech. Im still working on my bachelors there, and he is going to Grad school. Are you in Va? Whereabouts are you?

Artemis
Old 07-18-04, 09:56 PM   #7
justinO

the best ones i have are the pot bottoms, but not the plastic ones (you are right, they will just move around).... the terracotta ones are perfect!

They are heavy, and perfect..... only thing is you have to knock out an arch, which sometimes leads to smashing the thing to bits, even if you are careful....

some are even coated on the inside and are really easy to clean.... hopefully you can find them at a garden or home store for cheap (small ones are $1-2, bigger ones for adults can be $12)

good luck!
Old 07-18-04, 10:18 PM   #8
snakehunter

OMG IM GOING DOWN THERE THIS WENDSDAY I will be attending Tech as a biology major. Where do you work at tech. COOL

Im in Manassas park, just outside of manassas, and about five mi. from fairfax.
Old 07-19-04, 12:25 AM   #9
elevation24

Quote:
Originally posted by Artemis
Question about those plastic pot bottoms- doesnt the snake end up flipping them over a lot, even accidentally, because they are so lightweight? My snake can actually move his ceramic ones (and does), and so I figured anything very light wouldnt work for long!
I haven't had any problems whatsoever and I have been using them for months now They move them around a bit sometimes, but it's no big deal

Last edited by elevation24; 07-19-04 at 12:31 AM..
Closed Thread