border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-20, 05:20 PM   #1
Thanatos

Ball Python not eating

I have 6 ball pythons from 2yrs to 6yrs old. All have been consistent good eaters. My 2.5 yr old ball Python, Loki, has not eaten in over 2 months. He is active and is not acting sick, stressed, etc.. I've read some BPs will fast in winter months after the age of 2... but still has me worried. Anyone have this experience or advice?
Login to remove ads
Old 02-06-20, 01:15 PM   #2
snekysnek

Re: Ball Python not eating

I have a bullsnake who is generally a good eater aswell. Ever since winter hit shes been very finicky with food. If your temperatures are right and it's well hydrated and is acting healthy, it's probably the winter. If you want, you could always give it a 20 minute soak in lukewarm water to ensure it's not dehydration (dont do this too often bc of scale rot etc). This has helped my snake before with eating. Idk worth a try, but my guess is that its winter.
Old 02-06-20, 01:22 PM   #3
snekysnek

Also another note on why they can become finicky during the winter, (people probably know this but imma say it anyways.) Snakes go into "brumation" during the winter which is not like hibernation where they sleep, the snake just becomes inactive/dormant. In order to go into brumation, all of the food in their stomachs need to be emptied out, if it isnt emptied out the food will rot in their intestines. Some snakes, no matter the temperatures in the enclosure, can sense that it is indeed winter so they are getting ready for the brumation process. Anyways, best of luck to you
Old 02-06-20, 01:32 PM   #4
craigafrechette

Yeah, that's not uncommon at all. Once they reach maturity they tend to "save themselves" for a female. Retaining all their energy with intent to breed.

One thing I see often is keepers over feeding, which can also lead to food refusals.

How much does the snake weigh? What size prey were you offering when he was eating? How often?
Closed Thread