border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-19, 05:46 PM   #1
PsychoSnake

Who Is Your Most Cuddly Snake?

There are some good contenders on my list and I expect to hear a lot of ball pythons in this thread but here goes...

• Daisy, my very large costal rosy boa
  • Maple, also known as Mama, one of my breeder rosy boas
  • Dante, a normal ball python rescue (wasn't being fed by previous owner)
  • Brian Pumpkin-Butt, a pied ball python
  • Hercules, a boa constrictor rescue (left in cage with live rat and was mutilated, poor husbandry resulted in permanent physical damage)

But who wins the trophy for most cuddly? Daisy! She chilled with me for 5 hours yesterday even when I'm booping her nose. She even went with me to therapy (she's allowed to visit). Second place would probably go to Hercules outside of shedding. He is cranky when he's in shed. Otherwise he wants to cuddle all day.
Old 07-17-19, 06:06 PM   #2
craigafrechette

Re: Who Is Your Most Cuddly Snake?

How are those Condas to cuddle with?
Old 07-17-19, 08:40 PM   #3
ClockwerkBonnet

I wouldn't exactly consider my snake to have been cuddly, but he tolerated me a little.
Old 07-18-19, 05:35 AM   #4
Veronica

I have one snake and she is a very active corn, which is somewhat unfortunate since I wanted her to be an education animal.
Old 07-18-19, 11:51 AM   #5
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
I have one snake and she is a very active corn, which is somewhat unfortunate since I wanted her to be an education animal.
Generally colubrids are more active snakes. However, an active animal isn't bad for education. Just need to not let people hold the animal and see that just because it moves a fair amount that it's still harmless.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-18-19, 12:43 PM   #6
PsychoSnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
How are those Condas to cuddle with?
They are both wild caught so.... they like to hug you pretty tightly.

My female green anaconda is pretty nice actually as long as you respect her. The male is bitey.
Old 07-18-19, 01:29 PM   #7
Veronica

I still intend to use my corn for education, Aaron–she just needs a little more work haha.
I wasn't very clear about that in my first post, I had just woken up and must have been a bit fuzzy-brained still.
Old 07-18-19, 01:47 PM   #8
craigafrechette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
I still intend to use my corn for education, Aaron–she just needs a little more work haha.
I wasn't very clear about that in my first post, I had just woken up and must have been a bit fuzzy-brained still.
How long have you been keeping snakes?
Old 07-18-19, 02:18 PM   #9
Veronica

Not very long–I got her about 3 years ago. I haven't been handling her as much as I should if I want her to be calmer for big events... Her previous owner wanted her to be used for education. She tried to find a state park that would take her, but they already had enough education animals, so they pointed her to me
Old 07-19-19, 05:16 AM   #10
eminart

Nice article on cuddly snakes.

https://psychcentral.com/news/2018/0...ize/11766.html
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Login to remove ads
Old 07-19-19, 06:51 AM   #11
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eminart View Post
I like this.
Old 07-19-19, 07:44 AM   #12
craigafrechette

Quote:
Originally Posted by eminart View Post

Good article. Thanks for sharing
Old 07-21-19, 07:06 AM   #13
Milksnake Mom

I would have to say Sonora is my most cuddly snake - she wraps her tail around my finger and makes sure I have her securely handled and she will settle. Tiffany and Milton are more hands-off but Tiffany tolerates being handled without musking me. The fact that they will interact with me is a gift since I am probably terrifying to them in addition to being the food dispenser.

On the article on cuddly snakes, I have an American miniature horse who knows me inside and out and how to get treats. During her show career if my son or I made an error she would shake her head in displeasure. She is a therapy horse and when on the job she knows people and how to react around them. She amazes people with her behavior. Being a new snake owner I am not always sure of their body language but I know if Tiffany makes an appearance she is telling me she is hungry.

Alexa the Checkered garter is still small and tough to catch so I enjoy watching her antics and watching her eat...she peeks out from different spots and then makes a beeline for her "plate." After eating she hangs out for a bit before returning to a hide. The fact that she will eat in front of me is cool as my milksnakes prefer to eat in their hides.

Last edited by Milksnake Mom; 07-21-19 at 07:15 AM..
Old 07-21-19, 11:23 AM   #14
ClockwerkBonnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksnake Mom View Post
I would have to say Sonora is my most cuddly snake - she wraps her tail around my finger and makes sure I have her securely handled and she will settle. Tiffany and Milton are more hands-off but Tiffany tolerates being handled without musking me. The fact that they will interact with me is a gift since I am probably terrifying to them in addition to being the food dispenser.

On the article on cuddly snakes, I have an American miniature horse who knows me inside and out and how to get treats. During her show career if my son or I made an error she would shake her head in displeasure. She is a therapy horse and when on the job she knows people and how to react around them. She amazes people with her behavior. Being a new snake owner I am not always sure of their body language but I know if Tiffany makes an appearance she is telling me she is hungry.

Alexa the Checkered garter is still small and tough to catch so I enjoy watching her antics and watching her eat...she peeks out from different spots and then makes a beeline for her "plate." After eating she hangs out for a bit before returning to a hide. The fact that she will eat in front of me is cool as my milksnakes prefer to eat in their hides.
Uhh... wow. I never realized a horse like yours would prove so smart.
Closed Thread

Tags
cuddly cuddles