border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Heterodon

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-17, 02:07 AM   #1
Noh

What About A Hognose?

So I've been wanting to get a CA King. But my housemate is encouraging me to get a western hognose, because we saw one at a ma and pop reptile store about a week ago and he liked it a lot.

They are beautiful and adorable, but I'm not sure if they're the type of snake I'm looking for for my first snake. I'm sure they're relatively docile once handled enough, but they seem like they have big personalities from, well, almost everywhere I've checked. I like how handle-able kingsnakes seem.

Is there any reason I should or should not get one as opposed to a CA Kingsnake?
Login to remove ads
Old 12-20-17, 02:18 AM   #2
TRD

Re: What About A Hognose?

Not all kingsnakes are handle-able, neither are all hognoses. They are both popular because the majority of them aren't assholes

When picking a snake with the intention that you which to handle it often I would always suggest you handle it yourself before buying because that would be more a choice that is personality driven than how it looks.
Old 12-20-17, 04:41 AM   #3
DJC Reptiles

Raise either from a baby, and there is a 90% chance, they will be handable. Most hognose never strike, other then food of course, but will fake strike. They do this by striking with their mouth closed.
“The Only Difference Between Fear and Respect is Knowledge”(Daniel Jensen).
Old 12-20-17, 08:02 AM   #4
craigafrechette

I own both a CA King and a Western hognose. My two cents is to stick with what YOU wanted from the start.
I've had several Kings throughout the years and been around many more, all of which were very easy to handle. They can be nippy, but outgrow it with regular handling. There are exceptions to every rule, and there are the occasional Kings who are just jerks, but they are still easy to handle. Their husbandry requirements are very easy and they are hardy, forgiving soecies. They are also garbage disposals and almost NEVER refuse a meal.

Hognose are very dramatic and will often hiss and "bluff strike" where they strike with their mouths closed. But they almost never bite. They are, however, mildly venomous. They are rear fanged and have a horrible delivery system which basically requires them to chew for a bit before any venom is released. The venom is extremely mild and reactions vary from nothing to localised swelling. The worst case I've seen or read about was a bite on the hand that swelled pretty good almost up to the elbow. They can also be VERY tricky eaters at first and are more prone to food strikes.
All that being said, they are AWESOME animals and I will be adding another to the family eventually. But I don't advise one as a first snake.

Hope this helped. Good luck
Old 12-20-17, 08:21 AM   #5
Herpin' Man

I have owned both species, and either would make a good first snake.
Either can be a little nervous; I have found that hognose are more likely to be squirmy.
Both species are generally solid feeders, however male hognose commonly go "off feed" sometimes for weeks or even months at a time. This can be disconcerting for the new snake owner.
Hognose are definitely messier.
Login to remove ads
Old 12-20-17, 09:04 AM   #6
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

I've never kept hoggies even though I think they're probably the cutest snakes out there . I love kings and would highly recommend them. MBKs, Brooks, CA and speckled kings are a few of my favorites but there's so many cool morphs to choose from.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 12-20-17, 09:25 PM   #7
Cobra89

I have an albino brooks kingsnake and I love him to death, he's my first king. At first it was a little hard handling him because he was just so active, I was used to slower, more deliberate-moving species. Once I got used to his personality I enjoyed handling him more, he also calmed down a bit. Crazy appetite, not once has he ever struck at me handling or in his enclosure, but once I settle him into his feed bin he becomes Mr. Hyde and anything is food, he'll turn right around and go at me open mouth, though again he settled that down a bit too. His name is Kingsley.

I don't have experience with keeping a Hognose, I've been planning to get one but I really have my heart set on a superconda baby once I see one pop up for sale for a decent price. I've handled a few and they were docile, not too difficult, though I've heard they can have a little attitude sometimes.

I would agree with some of the other users here that a kingsnake would likely be a bit more hardy and easier to care for, but it comes down to what you really want. When I'm trying to decide between a couple different species, I'll go on YouTube and watch a ton of different videos on them, like handling, feeding, common issues, etc.
Old 12-20-17, 10:33 PM   #8
Noh

Thanks everyone I really appreciate the feedback, and after reading it I do think I'll still be going for a CA King.

I do like the superconda hognose babies too, they're just so expensive! I also do like what I've seen of Kingsnakes. I definitely plan on getting a hognose at some point, I think I'd just prefer my first snake be a kingsnake.
Old 12-21-17, 08:40 AM   #9
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Kings are awesome first snakes. They're the snakes that set everything into motion for my current collection. I'm more into larger snakes now but kings will always have a special place in my heart.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 12-21-17, 02:13 PM   #10
Noh

Kings look wonderful. I love larger snakes too but I simply don't have the space for one. A viv for an adult king is as big as I can go. Also, my other housemate would probably kill me. He's afraid of snakes and only agreed to let me get one because he wants to get over that fear(and because I want one so badly haha). He thinks a big one would want to eat him.

The hognoses look wonderful and mostly docile, especially if you handle them enough, their hissing is the only turnoff. I'd be fine with it(it takes a lot to bother me wrt animals) but once again, I'd like a King as the first one. And I'm not sure if the housemate who's afraid would be okay with being hissed at so much lol.

It's understandable, he was bitten by a cornsnake as a kid. I wanna make sure he's as comfortable as possible. But his words were "you're a girl how are you not afraid of snakes." THAT made me laugh.
Login to remove ads
Old 12-21-17, 02:27 PM   #11
kudzu

I'm a girl and got a snake last year. Got interested in them after handling my sister's snakes. My sis actually worked at a snake farm. Fear of snakes isn't a "girl thing".
Old 12-21-17, 03:10 PM   #12
Noh

Yeah, he's just being dumb. He can't really talk since he's afraid of snakes.

Hopefully he gets over that fear once I get a snake, like he hopes to.
Old 12-21-17, 04:47 PM   #13
DJC Reptiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noh View Post
Yeah, he's just being dumb. He can't really talk since he's afraid of snakes.

Hopefully he gets over that fear once I get a snake, like he hopes to.
Ball pythons are one of, if not the best snake for that situation. They are small, (~3.5-5ft) and usually very docile.
Old 12-21-17, 05:06 PM   #14
Noh

But DJC Reptiles, Food Strikes...
Old 12-21-17, 06:06 PM   #15
DJC Reptiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noh View Post
But DJC Reptiles, Food Strikes...
If you are counting food strikes as not being docile, then the only docile snakes are blind snakes. Might as well look after a pile of dirt. (A little harsh on blind snakes, I think it is awesome how small most of them are. But it is true, you'll never see them). Food strikes are a feeding response and are not an act of aggression, or a defensive strike against the keeper. There is no such thing as a snake that won't food strike (except for blind snakes, they kind of just eat...).
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread