border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-16, 10:43 AM   #1

Ball "thanking me? Weird snake behaviour

OK, let me preface this whole shebang: I KNOW snakes dont show emotion/feelings etc, and a lot of people assign human traits to animals. Now, on with the story:

A few days ago, my beautiful pastel citrus ball went into shed mode, so I did what I could to make him comfy (more moisture!). When all was said and done, he had a 2" spot that he just couldnt shake, so last night I set up a "spa" for him so he could soak some, and hopefully shed the rest of the way.

He's never minded being handled, altho he is jumpy, and even in shed he was ok with limited handling.

Once I put him in the water, he *seemed* like he knew what I was doing. He submerged his spot under, and when that didnt seem to do much (should have had more water in there...) I laid the rag I had in there on top of his spot, and he didnt object at all.

At one point, I started rubbing him to try to loosen the scales and it was like he understood what I was doing. He didnt flinch and the only movement he made was to push against my finger! Same thing with the rag!

When I was done, he wrapped my wrist and, for lack of a better term, "ran in place" rubbing me! It was almost like he was thanking me.

Anywho, can anyone explain what he was doing to my wrist? Was he just scratching himself on me, or returning the favor?

Pics of my pretty blue eyed snek, freshly shed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160810_123645.jpg (24.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 20160810_123633.jpg (24.7 KB, 60 views)
Login to remove ads
Old 08-10-16, 02:22 PM   #2
macandchz

Re: Ball "thanking me? Weird snake behaviour

default, that was a real cute story. i know we're not supposed to think snakes have feelings--this will probably bring on another lecture about the limbic system etc. etc. etc. but when you hear a story like that, it makes you wonder. i think they are a lot smarter than we give them credit for. and he is a beautiful snake!
Old 08-10-16, 03:46 PM   #3
Piggybuns

I'm not 100% on what he was doing (cute as it was XD) but I just wanted to compliment you on his gorgeous markings. It's like dabs of watercolor on his yellow. Is he a spider morph? Spider's on of my favorite morphs in balls, and if I could have more than one snake, I would have went for one of them. >w< He's so adorable.
Old 08-10-16, 05:43 PM   #4
eminart

There's no telling what I stinctive behavior was being expressed. But it had nothing to do with pleasing you. I don't fully understand what you're saying he did, but it probably had something to do with being wet.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Old 08-10-16, 06:37 PM   #5
bigsnakegirl785

My snakes "run in place rubbing" me all the time - because they can't gain traction. Sounds like the snake wanted to crawl around your wrist and wanted to move on, but his wet scales wouldn't allow that.
Old 08-10-16, 09:04 PM   #6

He was well dried before this. In fact, he was gripping me and moving fine (he adjusted himself to be comfy).

eminart, what he was doing was...you know when a snake "goes fast" and really curves back and forth for speed? he was doing that, but only with the front 1/3 of his body and holding my wrist pretty snuggly with the rest.
Old 08-10-16, 09:10 PM   #7
RAD House

It sounds like he was just an itchy snake who had a rough shed. Many of my snakes will continue to rub up on things even after the shed is complete. On the other hand it seems that he has a good amount of trust in you.