border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-21, 12:28 AM   #1
JoeySuriname

Help with mites :'(

I bought a 6 foot Suriname from a pet shop a little over a month or so ago. Days after buying him I was giving him a soak in the tub and realized he has mites. I furiously called the woman who sold him to me and she came and treated his substrate with Pam and we wiped him with mitewipes and they cleared up. I was holding him about a week ago and realized they came back. I'm afraid to use Pam again because I've read that it has killed snakes and I'm not experienced in the first place with mites. He's currently still in his 40 gallon breeder on Paper towels getting wiped every other day with the wipes. I am soon expecting his 8󫶘 pvc enclosure from sog plastics and am not sure what I should do? I have more coco bark bedding that I'm saving for his new enclosure and don't want to (and am scared to) treat it with Pam because I've read about predatory mites that I am pretty sure I am going to try when I move him... I really want to move him as soon as I recieve his new enclose because he is cramped in his 40 breeder. Also I bought a baby piebald BP with him and she's also on paper towels now, they are currently in the same room and have been since day 1. The mites however want nothing to do with her and I haven't seen a single one in her enclosure Advice please.
Login to remove ads
Old 12-10-21, 12:50 AM   #2
JoeySuriname

Re: Help with mites :'(

Someone help please
Old 12-10-21, 09:20 PM   #3
chairman

Re: Help with mites :'(

First things first, Provent A Mite causes issues with hognose snakes, garter snakes, and some very young snakes.

I've never heard of an issue stemming from using PAM on a sub-adult boa so. I'd order some PAM and use it as directed. As you wait for it to arrive, on a daily basis you can put a small amount of vegetable oil on a paper towel and rub your snake down with it- that'll remove mites from the snake's body. You can't solve your problem that way but less mites = less mite eggs in the long run. The PAM will take care of the rest.

As for the ball python, that isn't too surprising. The only time I ever dealt with mites was on a Texas rat snake. The species of mite that he got infected with seemed to prefer his scale structure and didn't infect the cornsnake, kingsnake, or pythons that I also had at the time.
Closed Thread