border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > General Colubrid Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-16, 01:58 AM   #1
clreptiles

pesky mites

hey guys needing some help regarding mites the snake treatment is working fine only into thesecond week what i wanted to no is whats the best way to rid of poss mites and there eggs on cork hides and other viv decor ? i have got 2 large rubs full with bleach and water that the contents are fully submerged and have been for a week is that long enought i have no clue on the egg cycle many also how can i treat the younger corns 2x late cb15 and 2x 1 yr and a abit does hibiscrub contain enoght isopropyl alcohol to dry and kill the eggs that may be residing in the vivs tia.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-11-16, 08:58 AM   #2
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Re: pesky mites

http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/gener...ake-mites.html

I wouldn't use isopropyl for treatment of mites.
Old 07-11-16, 09:38 AM   #3
jpsteele80

I use Provent A Mite, do not spray it on your animal directly or it will kill them, Pam the hell out of the cage and make sure all the fumes are gone before putting the snake back in there. It last up to six months ( is what they say ) but definitely gets the job done. There a pain to treat and can live a very long time off a host so once they are gone from the inside of the cage I would spray a little Pam around the bottom of the outside of the cage every 3 months for 3 months just to make sure they were gone.
Old 07-11-16, 12:32 PM   #4
RAD House

I used Provent-a-mite and followed the directions to a t. Unfortunately it ended up killing my baby garter snake, so I will never use the stuff again. If I ever have a mite scare again I will be using predatory mites, which are mites that only eat other mites and small insects. I have read many reports of people having great success with them.
Old 07-11-16, 12:56 PM   #5
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

Yeah, I have heard more bad than good for PAM. I use Sevin Dust and it works great with zero ill effects. I was also given a bottle of an all natural spray from my local reptile store. It's put out by 'Natural Chemistry'. Trying it for the 1st time and going to see if it works.

Seems mites are out enmass this year. =(

I stopped counting at 30....
Login to remove ads
Old 07-11-16, 01:02 PM   #6
RAD House

I am sorry to hear that Mink. I would definitely be interested to know how the natural stuff works. good luck.
Old 07-11-16, 01:19 PM   #7
jpsteele80

Natural chemistry does work to kill the mites on your snake, i use it in conjunction with Pam. It works by drying the mites out. After a little bit be sure to take a wet paper towel and run your snake down with it as it will dry skin out as well. I would imagine if your snake died from Pam something else was wrong. I have used it may times from bringing a snake home from a show that has them not knowing and then have to treat the whole collection.
Old 07-11-16, 01:55 PM   #8
Jim Smith

I would be concerned that Seven DUST would irritate the nasal passages or possibly even cause an RI.
Old 07-11-16, 02:28 PM   #9
SerpentineDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesoCorney View Post
If I ever have a mite scare again I will be using predatory mites, which are mites that only eat other mites and small insects. I have read many reports of people having great success with them.
Hmmm, intriguing.... Where would you get the predatory mites? Do you need a lot of them to get the job done? Do they die off when your infestation is gone?

No mites here yet, but we have wild mice that sometimes sneak into the house and they can carry them. Caught a deer mouse a few days ago... in the snake room of all places. Don't know what he was thinking, taking up residence in there. It must have smelled overwhelmingly of predators.
0.1 Hog Island Boa, 0.1 Woma Python, 2.3 Ball Pythons, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.1 Western Hognoses, 4.6 Corns, 1.1 Mexican Milks, 2.2 Black Milks, 1.1 CA Kings, 1.1 CA Red-Sided Garters, 2.3 Trans-Pecos Rats, 2.2 Russian Rats, 1.0 Olive House Snake
Old 07-11-16, 02:30 PM   #10
RAD House

No he was showing the symptoms of poisoning by this product. Garter species have been known to show higher sensitivity especially babies. To me there are better safer options. Also I was less than impressed with the manufacturer when I contacted them. They insisted that it is safe for all species, but when I asked if they have done actual testing they avoided answering me.
Old 07-11-16, 02:33 PM   #11
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesoCorney View Post
No he was showing the symptoms of poisoning by this product. Garter species have been known to show higher sensitivity especially babies. To me there are better safer options. Also I was less than impressed with the manufacturer when I contacted them. They insisted that it is safe for all species, but when I asked if they have done actual testing they avoided answering me.
Hognose as well have had adverse affects. Partly why I love the Nix treatment method...you can dilute it a little bit more and still be able to use it on garters and hognose without them getting the spins.

The predatory mites have always intrigued me.
Old 07-11-16, 02:33 PM   #12
RAD House

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentineDream View Post
Hmmm, intriguing.... Where would you get the predatory mites? Do you need a lot of them to get the job done? Do they die off when your infestation is gone?

No mites here yet, but we have wild mice that sometimes sneak into the house and they can carry them. Caught a deer mouse a few days ago... in the snake room of all places. Don't know what he was thinking, taking up residence in there. It must have smelled overwhelmingly of predators.
Yes they die off when they run out of prey. You can order them on several online retailers, including Amazon. As far as numbers needed, the retailer might have a better idea.
Old 07-11-16, 02:58 PM   #13
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
I would be concerned that Seven DUST would irritate the nasal passages or possibly even cause an RI.

I have never experienced it as it's a pretty heavy 'dust'. I put it under the paper towel, spray it all down so it's damp, then clean it all out a week later.

=)

I stopped counting at 30....
Closed Thread

Tags
mites snakes