border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-20, 05:27 AM   #1
jjhockeyguy

Need some advice

Ok so i just picked up my first boa a week ago and want some advice on her. I want to know if she is a BCC or BCI. Her belly has pinkish splotches and it worried me so i came here to see what you guys think it could be. It has no texture and feels normal and she doesn't appear to be in any discomfort. The pattern of the splotches also matches the pinkish pattern on her side so maybe shes just unique? She also whistles slightly when i handle her in a quiet room. When she is in her enclosure she doesn't whistle anymore so maybe she just gets excited when handled and is breathing hard or could she have a slight URI? She is over 1 years old or well that's what the previous owner told me and pushing a little over 4ft. He was feeding her large rats weekly and i have moved her down to mediums every 2 to 3 weeks. Any answers to my questions would be very helpful! Here is a link to all the pics of her https://imgur.com/a/bnymnLR
Login to remove ads
Old 08-26-20, 11:00 AM   #2
skaukatt

Re: Need some advice

Hi jjkockeyguy, nice boa. She's (are you sure it's a she?) definitely a BI Boa Imperator. As for the pink blotches, I don't think there's a problem there but hopefully some one can confirm or offer more info. Regarding her whistling, I'd definitely get her to a vet to check for an RI so you can get that treated if it turns out that's what it is. I agree with your change in her feeding program as large rats weekly is too frequent and it doesn't hurt to offer a smaller prey item less frequently. Hope this helps and all the best with your boa!
Old 08-26-20, 05:16 PM   #3
poison123

Larger boddied snakes will breath heavier when handled more weight being pushed on them. If you don't see mucus then what i said is likely the case. If you see breathing through the mouth or if he keeps wheezing in the enclosure then it may be a URI. This is indeed a BCI or BI whatever they call them these days. As for the pink markings i dont have any BCI's anymore to pull out and check but i dont think ive ever seen that. Common for snakes to get a pinkish tint to their underbelly before going into blue for shed. Could also be the beginning of a fungal infection such as scale rot which ive dealt with once in a blood python it did look similar. Could also be a caused from a non-regulated underbelly heat source that got a little too hot or it could just be unique to some morph genes that go carried on idk i dont do morphs. As for right now just keep him clean and keep an eye on the pink spots see if it grows in which case a vet may be your best bet. Within time and sheds you'll see if it improves.
Old 08-26-20, 06:24 PM   #4
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Take pictures of the pink
Closed Thread