border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > General Python Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-16, 12:32 PM   #1
XburntbythesunX

Blood python temperament?

When I was reading about snakes 8 years ago people were saying blood pythons are extremely aggressive. Now people are saying they can be very docile and never strike?

I was just wondering what your experience with them has been? I think they are one of the most beautiful snakes, but I'm intimidated by a large bodied snake with a reputation for sometimes being very aggressive.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-05-16, 07:22 AM   #2
Derek Roddy

Re: Blood python temperament?

This is true because years ago there wasn't a lot of breeding going on with bloods and most were imported with very nasty attitudes.

These day the captive bred animals are much less prone to bite than the wild imports.

D
Old 06-05-16, 08:52 AM   #3
XburntbythesunX

Ah wow, I didn't realize that! That's great info to know. I had always thought these were some of the most beautiful snakes, but their temperament had always kept me from doing more research on how to care for them etc.
Old 06-05-16, 03:31 PM   #4
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Out of the handful I had, two were very nervous and defensive and would bite repeatedly with intent. The others were as docile as they come. My advice is this;These guys can strike (even straight backwards) without much warning at all and it's not a fun bite to take. The warning can be as subtle as a minor but sudden difference in breathing. Make sure you get a CB hatchling from a breeder, learn to read it and be prepared to possibly take a few bites but most calm down quite nicely.
Old 06-05-16, 07:02 PM   #5
XburntbythesunX

Yeah I was concerned about the biting straight backwards lol. And they are lightning fast even as fat as they are. It's something to think about in the future, but it sounds like they need a much larger enclosure than the average snake from what I'm reading so far. Not my number one option right now, but I think they are the best looking snakes so it's something to think about a long way down the road
Login to remove ads
Old 06-05-16, 08:57 PM   #6
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

They don't do much as far as activity goes...so most average sized adults would be good in a 4x2x1 or 4x2x1.5...but yes, don't get one until you're confident you can deal with it if it's PO'd.
Old 06-06-16, 03:00 PM   #7
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

I like this line that someone told me about bloods.

"They are for snake people, not reptile people".

Simply means the average keeper, unless completely nuts about snakes, probably shouldn't own one.
Old 06-06-16, 03:49 PM   #8
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
I like this line that someone told me about bloods.

"They are for snake people, not reptile people".

Simply means the average keeper, unless completely nuts about snakes, probably shouldn't own one.
I like this! Very accurate.
Old 06-07-16, 03:51 PM   #9
NJHerp

My brongersmai is all bark no bite. Hisses to no end, but has never struck me.
Old 06-12-16, 06:14 PM   #10
XburntbythesunX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
They don't do much as far as activity goes...so most average sized adults would be good in a 4x2x1 or 4x2x1.5...but yes, don't get one until you're confident you can deal with it if it's PO'd.
When I was working with Tarantulas with strong venom the only way to learn how to deal with them was 95% just getting them and dealing with them.

But of course, there was also a lot of reading and learning to be done. What do you think would be a good start when it comes to learning to deal with a larger snake?
Login to remove ads
Old 06-12-16, 07:15 PM   #11
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Do you have experience handling medium/large constrictors? Are you confident in reading animal behaviour? How long have you been keeping snakes? Are there any other species you are interested in getting? Are you afraid of getting bit? Handy with a hook? Ever use bite proof gloves? So many ways to approach this. I was 19 when I got my first blood and she was absolutely nasty...been keeping reptiles since 7 years old and up to that point I had probably taken a few hundred bites including a couple good ones from some larger snakes before getting a blood, but when I wanted one I was able to deal with it. I also was pretty confident and respectful of all species as I had a few great mentors, one of which showed me the proper ways and many different protocols to deal with hots. I was more than ready. It's different for everyone. What do you think would make YOU feel ready? The teeth on these guys aren't as big as an ETB or anything...but they're no corn snake and they hit similar to an anaconda...they pack a good punch and you'll bleed and bruise. Just try to know what you're dealing with/what to expect.

Last edited by Andy_G; 06-12-16 at 07:22 PM..
Old 06-13-16, 04:17 AM   #12
Little Wise Owl

I can't speak for Bloods but I have a Borneo Short Tail who is an absolute sweet heart. From what I have heard, all her siblings are sweet too. She was CB here in Canada.
Closed Thread