sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-21, 05:17 AM   #1
lorencing

Boa c.c. unknown problems - NEED HELP

Hi there snake lovers,

I am in need of any advice on how to handle or at least understand what is happening to my 17y female boa which had no major health problems in her life. She is 8 feet + long and had around 40-45 pounds before this problem started.

She is my only snake and sort of a member of the family. A year ago I made her a new enclosure, quite bigger than she had before and about half a year ago she had diarrhea (just once) for the first time in her life, she did not shed ok for the first time in her life and then she had green pee (twice, the second time a bit less) also for the first time in her life ... and then she stopped eating and has refused to eat till today. I know that sometimes she had a slight wheeze when breathing, but it was never serious and she always ate and shed normally.

I've been to two vets, had her on two antibiotic treatments (for a while it looked as if she was doing much better), had x-ray and ultrasound done, had poop analysis done and was all ok, blood analysis was ok. Now she still refuses to eat, the breathing is worse, she started opening her mouth while breathing (sometimes) and drinks and pees A LOT. Her skin looks "old" and a bit shrivelled, she has lost a lot of weight (muscle definition is still there, but she is "skinny"), and the scales are still slowly coming of now and then although I soaked her and tried to help her shed.

She has a UV lamp and a halogen heating lamp + heating cable under rocks. Temps are between 73 and 86 F, humidity 45-65. She has been free to roam my previous apartment for many years, now not so much, especially since this began she has been only in the enclosure.

If you need more info please ask, I am glad to answer. I just have no more ideas on what to do to make her her old, healthy self again.

And help or advice is much appreciated.​​​​
Login to remove ads
Old 03-30-21, 07:25 PM   #2
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: Boa c.c. unknown problems - NEED HELP

We honestly aren't vets. You should get a tracheal wash. Essentially they wash the throat with some liquid to test the throat for pathogens.
Old 04-01-21, 06:46 AM   #3
lorencing

Thanks Aaron, I know that is the last resort, but I am afraid it is going to exhaust her even more in her fragile state. I thought that maybe someone had similar problems and would comment. Looks like not ... thanks again.
Old 04-03-21, 03:10 PM   #4
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorencing View Post
Thanks Aaron, I know that is the last resort, but I am afraid it is going to exhaust her even more in her fragile state. I thought that maybe someone had similar problems and would comment. Looks like not ... thanks again.
It should be a first resort by a vet so the animal doesn't go through unnecessary treatment. That isn't your fault though. You brought the animal to the vet in the first place and that's what you're supposed to do as a good hobbyist! I hope it works out for you cause you're doing all you can.
Closed Thread