border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-18, 05:48 AM   #1
DLLNP

Enrichment for Reptiles & My Opinion of Brian Barczky

Just looking to start this conversation in a positive way. Already some pretty interesting thoughts/discussion happening in the comments.

Also on iTunes:

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/...=1000422654045
Login to remove ads
Old 10-29-18, 02:04 PM   #2
Roman

Re: Enrichment for Reptiles & My Opinion of Brian Barczky

I assume this is your podcast? I think you made some really good points. We had a lively discussion about this very topic in June. Some users actually arguing about keeping it simple and saying that there is no additional benefit in keeping snakes in enriched enclosures while I tried to convince them otherwise (I even quoted some of the papers you mentioned). The thread can be found here

http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/gener...-i-m-done.html

There is another one about one form of enrichment, the usage of light

http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/gener...eat-light.html

But honestly, a lot of members here in this group seem to be set in the “laboratory” style of keeping reptiles, most responses I got where negative, “never-did-that” (don’t get me wrong, I am not complaining and certainly not saying I am right and anybody else is wrong).

But if you are really interested in learning (and discussing) enrichment in keeping reptiles I suggest you join a facebook group “Advancing Herpetological Husbandry”, you will find all the quoted papers and many more peer-reviewed papers in the file-section of this group and many discussions about how to improve and advance our care and keeping reptiles. In addition it gives you a broader perspective because there are keepers from the UK, other countries in Europe, some from Australia and of course from the US and Canada, but they discuss the differences and the common ground of keeping reptiles in different areas, what we can learn from each other.
1,0 Lampropeltis triangulum campbelli, 1,2 Gonyosoma oxycephalum, 1,2 Philodryas baroni, 1,2 Spilotes pullatus, 2,1 Spilotes sulphureus, 0,1 Gonyosoma boulengeri, 1,1 Zamenis longissimus, 0,1 Malpolon sp., 1,1 Malpolon monspessulanus
Old 10-30-18, 06:49 PM   #3
Neon Aurora

Re: Enrichment for Reptiles & My Opinion of Brian Barczky

Interesting! I'm unable to access those links for some reason, but I did go through that thread posted in the above comment as well as joined the facebook group. It's really giving me a lot to think about and read, and I'm thinking I want to change things up a bit based on some of that information.
Closed Thread