border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Lampropeltis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-17, 03:55 PM   #1
awwalz01

Any ideas?

Over the last few weeks, my MBK has been dumping his water and pushing all of the aspen to one side of his cage and then sitting on top of it. I got him a new bowl (pictured) that I had sitting around the house, because I figured it was less likely to tip over compared to his previous bowl. Any idea on why he is doing this? Is he trying to up the humidity? Or just being a clumsy snake lol? If he wasn't pushing the bedding to one side I would just assume he was knocking it over on accident, but I find it weird he pushes all of the bedding to one side after knocking the water over.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-05-21 at 5.55.08 PM.png (122.5 KB, 32 views)
Old 05-21-17, 04:04 PM   #2
Tiny Boidae

Re: Any ideas?

I've never seen this, but I might suggest to add a few more inches of substrate into the enclosure and seeing if the behavior stops. He might just want more to dig in. Other than that, is there any other odd behavior that might point to neurological issues?
Old 05-21-17, 04:15 PM   #3
Scubadiver59

I'd suggest a 10-20gal viv...that's way too small for a snake that size, imo!.
Old 05-21-17, 06:44 PM   #4
awwalz01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny Boidae View Post
I've never seen this, but I might suggest to add a few more inches of substrate into the enclosure and seeing if the behavior stops. He might just want more to dig in. Other than that, is there any other odd behavior that might point to neurological issues?
I already have about 2 inches of substrate in the cage, It is kind of hard to tell how deep it usually is. No he has not shown any signs of anything else that is wrong with him. Just this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubadiver59 View Post
I'd suggest a 10-20gal viv...that's way too small for a snake that size, imo!.
He will be moving up a cage size within the next month. Waiting on my carpet to get a little bigger to move him up a size as well. He does well in this cage though. Haven't had any feeding problems or anything else with him. And he inst as big as he looks in the picture. He is just all together so he looks a little larger than he does in this picture.
Old 05-21-17, 07:33 PM   #5
whistlepig

Is the side that he clears of substrate the side that gets the most light? Just watching my own snake, he will often try to escape on the side of the tank that does not have an obstructed view and in doing so will push a lot of the substrate away from that wall.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-21-17, 09:12 PM   #6
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

The space looks a bit small to me too. Where are his hides and what are his temps like?
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 05-21-17, 10:34 PM   #7
awwalz01

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistlepig View Post
Is the side that he clears of substrate the side that gets the most light? Just watching my own snake, he will often try to escape on the side of the tank that does not have an obstructed view and in doing so will push a lot of the substrate away from that wall.
Yes the side he is pushing substrate away from is the side that has the most light. That is a good thought, I never thought of it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Ziggy View Post
The space looks a bit small to me too. Where are his hides and what are his temps like?
The cage is a little small, as he is due for an upgrade here in the next month, but the picture really does make him look larger than he is. That being said, he will be upgraded to his new crib soon! Just waiting on the carpet to get into his next size so that the mbk can take over his old tub. Hot side temp is 86 and cool side is 79. And the white cylinder looking thing is a hide that he usues quite frequently. It is a toothbrush holder with some substrate in it