border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > Natural Vivaria (Plant) Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-16, 12:00 PM   #1
SWDK

Question Live Plants For Snake Enclosures?

Wondering what type of live plants would be good to put in my Gonyosoma and Spilotes enclosures? I need sturdy plants that can support climbing and hanging out in and that are safe for the snakes. I was thinking about a small Ficus tree, but I would like some other options.
2 Black Rats,2 Retics,2 Texas Indigo,1 Albino Chinese Beauty,1 Bull,1 Black Milk,1 YT Cribo,1 Albino Garter,5 Corn Snakes,1 Brooksi,1 VBB,1 MBK,1 Bairds Rat,1 Albino Cal King,1 Pied BP,1 Dumerils Boa,2 Rattlesnakes
Login to remove ads
Old 07-30-16, 04:50 PM   #2
Roman

Re: Live Plants For Snake Enclosures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWDK View Post
Wondering what type of live plants would be good to put in my Gonyosoma and Spilotes enclosures? I need sturdy plants that can support climbing and hanging out in and that are safe for the snakes. I was thinking about a small Ficus tree, but I would like some other options.
Hi Dave,

the "Search"-function is your friend …

Here are some information about my Spilotes setup

--> http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/gener...-pullatus.html

--> http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/gener...us-update.html

I wrote this about plants in Terrariums in general

--> http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/natur...errariums.html

The Ficus tree works for Gonyosoma, I use one myself. Even the smaller branches support the snakes and don’t break under the weight. However, I would not use them with large Spilotes, they are probably too heavy and too strong.

I would leave the plants in their pot, at least for the first months. If necessary it is much easier to remove them. You could also cultivate a second set of plants outside your enclosures and your plants within the terrariums could need a “rest” to recover, just replace them with the reserve plants.

My plants are in the enclosures since several years, they do quite well over time. I lost the Ficus elastic in the Gonyosoma enclosure, the roots got too wet over a long time and rot.

Roman
Old 07-31-16, 11:42 AM   #3
SWDK

Thanks once again Roman. You're a wealth of information and have definitely been helping me out.
2 Black Rats,2 Retics,2 Texas Indigo,1 Albino Chinese Beauty,1 Bull,1 Black Milk,1 YT Cribo,1 Albino Garter,5 Corn Snakes,1 Brooksi,1 VBB,1 MBK,1 Bairds Rat,1 Albino Cal King,1 Pied BP,1 Dumerils Boa,2 Rattlesnakes
Old 08-02-16, 04:55 AM   #4
fedeCF

If you're willing to make a good research I suggest you to read The Art Of Keeping Snakes by Philippe De Vosjoli. I'm reading it now because I want to try Bioactive and it's a great source of information.
Old 08-02-16, 02:18 PM   #5
SWDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedeCF View Post
If you're willing to make a good research I suggest you to read The Art Of Keeping Snakes by Philippe De Vosjoli. I'm reading it now because I want to try Bioactive and it's a great source of information.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm interested in bioactive as well, but don't know much about it.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-08-16, 07:09 PM   #6
franks

Great book. He has greatly influenced the way I keep my animals.
Old 09-08-16, 10:28 PM   #7
SerpentineDream

What about a large jade plant (Crassula ovata)? They are fairly tough, easy to care for and have no sharp bits to poke your snake.
0.1 Hog Island Boa, 0.1 Woma Python, 2.3 Ball Pythons, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.1 Western Hognoses, 4.6 Corns, 1.1 Mexican Milks, 2.2 Black Milks, 1.1 CA Kings, 1.1 CA Red-Sided Garters, 2.3 Trans-Pecos Rats, 2.2 Russian Rats, 1.0 Olive House Snake
Closed Thread