border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > New to the forum?

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-15, 06:50 AM   #1
ShaggyRS6

Hello - Looking For Advice

Hi everyone. I am 42 years old, I am from the UK but moved to the US 3 years ago. I am blessed to live in Northern New Jersey right close to the Ramapo mountains so have access to some incredible nature.

I shoot nature and landscape photography as one of my hobbies, have a son who is in the fire dept, a hard working wife and two dogs that came with us from England.

I seem to be obsessed with a few things since turning up on these shores. 1. Bears, cant get enough of them
2. Osprey's same as above
3. Just recently snakes. I have always hated them, but since doing some research, and watching lots of Youtube Videos (AnimalBytes) I have become addicted.

So most weekends are now spent trying to find Rattle snakes so I can take pictures of them. I have been unsuccessful so far but am confident I am on the right track. I have spent hours reading the do's and o not's, I have the boots I always go with long thick pants, take a friend and stay within cell range. I have a long lens so I don't intend to get to close.

I have been finding lots of Garter and Ribbon snakes. I have been to afraid to pick them up but think I am about ready. Any tips for picking one up in the wild? Should I use gloves? Will they bite? what do I do if they bite? Should I not pick them?

And finally, I am seriously thinking about getting a snake for home. After researching the www most people go for a Ball Python. So I would like to hear your thoughts on that. I intend to go to a pet store this weekend to take a look and maybe handle one. I am conscious that I don't want to rush into this hobby without knowing the full facts first. So don't fear, I wont get a snake unless I know its right for me

Anyway. that's me!!
Login to remove ads
Old 09-03-15, 03:50 AM   #2
pinefamily

Re: Hello - Looking For Advice

Welcome to the forum!
My one piece of advice is to do your research first before getting a snake, and get used to handling one before buying any.
Oh, and a word of warning; it is addictive!
1.1 Diamond pythons, 1.1 Gammon Ranges pythons, 1.1 coastal pythons, 2.0 Murray Darling pythons, 1.1 albino Northwestern pythons, 1.0 spotted python, sand monitor, Spencers monitor, yellow spotted monitor, 1.0 leatherback bearded dragon, eastern water dragon, red spiny tailed monitor.
Old 09-03-15, 04:31 AM   #3
Sylphie

Welcome!

It's really good that you want to take it slow. Walking to the petstore and trying to handle for the first time is really good way to go!

As for the first snake, ball pythons are really calm and rather lazy, so they are good in that matter. On the other hand, they require really good husbandry, as they can go off food for a long times if one of the parametrs is wrong (temperature, hides, humidity etc). You should also know that they are often really easily stressed, and thet end in not eating too. Sometimes they are just really picky, and won't eat for no visible reason at all. I know that this sound rather "bad", but you should be aware that not all ball pythons are easy to go, and you never knows what you will end with.

Personally I would recommend one of the smaller boas, like rosy or sand boas, rainbow boas seems to be good too, but are bigger. A lot of colubrids is great for the first timers too, but they are more active and rather won't lay on your knees while watching tv Corn, milk, king, garter snakes are great, easy and rather small. Some rat snakes like black or texas are nice too, the same for pine and gopher snakes, but again, they are bigger, so you should consider it as it will be your first snake.
Old 09-03-15, 06:29 AM   #4
ShaggyRS6

Thank you for the advice do far chaps. Very much appreciated.
Old 09-03-15, 08:11 AM   #5
Wingbeats

Corn snakes, rat snakes, rosy boas, spotted pythons, and children's pythons are all easy and great first-time snakes. Ball pythons can be good, but they have a tendency to stop eating for really long periods of time which seems to scare new owners lol.

My first snake is a rainbow boa - the only hard thing about rainbow boas is that they require reaaally high humidities. But if you get a proper setup, the humidity takes care of itself so it's not a problem for me!

Do research, go to a reptile show or a pet store and handle some snakes to get used to it!

For wild garter snakes and other small snakes, they maaay bite. If they do, be really gentle about prying them off...you don't want to break their teeth! Most of the time when I pick up snakes, they don't bite me...they just "musk" me. The musk is a really stinky poo stuff. I've found that rubbing my hands in mud or muddy water is a great way to get musk smell off. I prefer smelling like muddy creek to smelling like snake musk.

I've been bitten by wild ratsnakes though - they are definitely more snappy haha! For bitey wild snakes, I let them strike at my shoe and then nab them behind the head. Takes practice but it's something I've done since I was a child, haha. You could always be smarter than me and take a hook with you herping or something.

Anyways welcome

Last edited by Wingbeats; 09-03-15 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: spelling
Login to remove ads
Old 09-03-15, 08:51 AM   #6
Jim Smith

I think you've gotten good information on the things to consider before owning a snake. As far as picking up wild snakes, as long as you are positive that they are not venomous, then don't be afraid to pick them up. Will they bite you, sure some of them will, especially black snakes and some king snakes. If they bite and hang on, very gently pry them off so you don't break off their teeth in your skin. Getting bitten by MOST snakes found in your neck of the woods is like being attacked by a piece of angry Velcro. I my experience, they barely break the skin and if they do it's tiny blood spots. As a kid, I was bitten by snakes hundreds of times and with only one exception (which was totally my fault), every bite, even from 4+ foot angry water snakes, was nothing more than tiny scratches. Now, one of the larger pythons and boas or even very large colubrids like an Indigo snake, that is an entirely different story. Like Wingbeats said, it's much worse getting musked, especially if it gets on your clothing as that stuff stinks. Just my two cents worth.
Old 09-03-15, 08:54 AM   #7
AZretic

My first snake was a rosey boa and she was an awesome snake. I am not a fan of ball pythons as they are generally finicky eaters but overall very forgiving. Even a common now is a good snake to begin with.
Old 09-03-15, 09:07 AM   #8
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Welcome and best wishes.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 09-03-15, 09:25 AM   #9
ShaggyRS6

Interesting comments about the Rosey Boa. Will do some research on that. If I do get a snake I want its home to look awesome. I was talking to a friend about the Ball Python and she said they actually do better in the plastic bin type of home.

Personally, for me, if I do get a snake I want it's environment to be aesthetically pleasing to me, but not at the expense of the animals well being.

So what do I need to know about living areas for the snake? I dont want to scrimp. I want the snake to have the best home I can afford.
Old 09-03-15, 12:46 PM   #10
ShaggyRS6

Anyone have any further thoughts on a Rosy Boa? How do I find reputable local dealers would be another question.
Login to remove ads
Old 09-03-15, 03:16 PM   #11
Albert Clark

Welcome, and everyone has a favorite species but the final decision is yours. The classic first owners snake is a garter snake, period. That is just a fact. There are some full bodied species out there. When you are ready to buy just be confident that you know what to look for, health wise. Try to buy and keep captive bred reptiles bc they are healthier. And born free should live free. There are too many captive bred animals to choose from than to take from the wild.
Old 09-03-15, 03:40 PM   #12
trailblazer295

My first snake and first reptile was a ball python. I got lucky with mine as he doesn't seem to stress easily. I brought him home Dec 14, he was moved home, back to the store for board in April, home again beginning of May and again when I moved end of May. Despite all that he ate every week minus skipped weeks due to him being in shed so I waited until I saw skin right up until the past 2 weeks, he refused 2 weeks ago, ate last week and refused again this week. It's what they do and what I was told. Admittedly I got really lucky and yes it's still stressful when he doesn't want to eat. If you're okay with that potential then keep them on the potential list. If I could do it over I'd still have bought him. He is very relaxed whenever I pick him up, hung out on my neck watching a movie.

As for the cage style it depends a lot on the snake. Some only like rack systems while others are okay in display setups, glass tanks can be more stressful due to exposure. Personally I'd recommend a PVC setup for a display.

This is my little buddy in his cage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150801_174831_resized.jpg (26.2 KB, 34 views)
Old 09-03-15, 03:56 PM   #13
ShaggyRS6

Nice info thanks. I deffo want a nice display setup so if that's not right for a ball python I will have to look at others. The snake has to be happy. It comes first.
Old 09-03-15, 04:12 PM   #14
trailblazer295

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyRS6 View Post
Nice info thanks. I deffo want a nice display setup so if that's not right for a ball python I will have to look at others. The snake has to be happy. It comes first.
I've had my BP in 2 different display cages and he has been just fine. But it depends on the animal it self. Some are fine and some prefer racks. If you're talking to a breeder should give you better idea on if that animal is okay outside a rack system. Most BPs with the exception of those bought for large collections or breeding are housed in glass tanks or PVC cages as far as I've seen. PVC cages with only one door and one source of light does a lot way, also hides, cover etc is important. Beyond that it comes down to the temperament of the animal. When I was looking for mine I was pulling rack after rack at the store, all of them hid and balled up except for Mushu, he slowly stared right at me and came towards me slowly. We had to scare his head back in so we could close the rack, he never balled on me or struck ever, each time I went to the store and held him for half hour or an hour. He was instantly just roaming around the limits of my body. I held another BP who was a ball for 15 minutes straight until a employee unballed him and put him around my wrist. It's like any animal there are variations, if you like the looks, housing, okay with the feeding potential then just find an animal with the right temperament.

Mushu crawled up my body the day I bought him, he just stared up and tried to climb straight up my torso. I had to lift my arms to help him out so he just chill on my shoulders for awhile, you can see him on my shoulder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141214_153738_resized.jpg (23.4 KB, 32 views)
Old 09-03-15, 07:30 PM   #15
ShaggyRS6

Thats pretty cool. I was actually going to call Royal Constrictor Designs tomorrow and ask some questions. What do you think? I see them mentioned a lot in You Tube vids
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread