border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > General Boa Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-16, 02:10 AM   #1
kovacs01

Good to be back in the herp world!

Here is my new little guy after a long (17 year) hiatus from the hobby. It quite surprised my wife when he arrived. I had talked about getting another herp for years, but never followed through. When I told her I had ordered one, I don't think she believed me. Anyway, I picked him up as a yearling a few months ago, and he is eating like a pig and growing fast. We call him Atlas......now if only I could find a little girl for him. I will post some better pics later.

Login to remove ads
Old 05-19-16, 03:20 AM   #2
RAD House

Re: Good to be back in the herp world!

Wow he has a great pattern, almost reminiscent of a Gabon viper. What type of boa is he?
Old 05-19-16, 04:17 AM   #3
trailblazer295

Awesome pattern!!
Old 05-19-16, 06:45 AM   #4
Albert Clark

Handsome guy! He will have no problem with the ladies i'm sure. Grats.
Old 05-19-16, 09:13 AM   #5
eminart

Congrats! I was out of the hobby when I got married too. Suffice to say, my wife is quite surprised since we now have a fair sized collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesoCorney View Post
What type of boa is he?
Dumeril's boa.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Login to remove ads
Old 05-19-16, 02:20 PM   #6
kovacs01

Quote:
Originally Posted by eminart View Post
Congrats! I was out of the hobby when I got married too. Suffice to say, my wife is quite surprised since we now have a fair sized collection.

Dumeril's boa.

Nope, he is the "other" ground boa from that island, A. Madagascariensis, commonly known among other similar monikers as the madagascan ground boa.

It has been interesting getting his environment just right, since there is so little information out there. I used dumeril's as the baseline, and through research and experimentation have found out that they need quite a bit higher humidity levels than Dumeril's. I think probably they can stand about 2 degrees warmer on average as well, though I doubt that difference is gonna matter much.
Old 05-20-16, 06:25 AM   #7
eminart

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovacs01 View Post
Nope, he is the "other" ground boa from that island, A. Madagascariensis, commonly known among other similar monikers as the madagascan ground boa.

Ah crap. I hate when people spread false information, and this time it was me. Thanks for setting me straight. I actually don't know much about the boas of madagascar, and I really didn't know this species existed (or that it was separate from Dumerils anyway). They do look pretty similar. I took a glance, assumed it was Dumeril's, and opened my big mouth.

Anyway, great looking snake. Congrats.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Old 05-20-16, 06:56 AM   #8
PatrickT

what does "herp" world mean?

You´ve got herpes?
Old 05-20-16, 06:57 AM   #9
trailblazer295

Never heard of that boa before but amazing scale pattern. Definitely one I'd have to buy if I came across one. How big do they get?
Old 05-20-16, 07:01 AM   #10
PatrickT

Quote:

It has been interesting getting his environment just right, since there is so little information out there. I used dumeril's as the baseline, and through research and experimentation have found out that they need quite a bit higher humidity levels than Dumeril's. I think probably they can stand about 2 degrees warmer on average as well, though I doubt that difference is gonna matter much.
I was able to see it in free last december when i was in the Lokobe forest in Madagascar:

You can check the climate data of Lokobe Nosy be to get it right. It was very humid and quite warm. If you need any info ask me.
Login to remove ads
Old 05-20-16, 11:26 AM   #11
kovacs01

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickT View Post
I was able to see it in free last december when i was in the Lokobe forest in Madagascar:

You can check the climate data of Lokobe Nosy be to get it right. It was very humid and quite warm. If you need any info ask me.

Thanks Patrick! Your picture is awesome, and that looks like it was an amazing trip. It now makes my wish, though, that I did not have a strictly terrestrial setup. From your picture, it seems that "ground" boa might be a misnomer, and that they are semi-arboreal. That is basically how I got environmental data for them, by checking climate data for Northern Madagascar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer295 View Post
Never heard of that boa before but amazing scale pattern. Definitely one I'd have to buy if I came across one. How big do they get?
Again, the data here is unreliable. When that is the case with snakes, I usually lean towards the smaller numbers. In captivity, expect the average male to go 6-7 feet, and 7-8 feet for the female with outliers at 8-10 feet respectively. There are reports of 13 feet, but I doubt it. Girth wise, they are probably the heaviest boa. They aren't like a blood python, but not far off it either.
Old 05-20-16, 01:36 PM   #12
PatrickT

Quote:
Thanks Patrick! Your picture is awesome, and that looks like it was an amazing trip. It now makes my wish, though, that I did not have a strictly terrestrial setup. From your picture, it seems that "ground" boa might be a misnomer, and that they are semi-arboreal. That is basically how I got environmental data for them, by checking climate data for Northern Madagascar.

Again, the data here is unreliable. When that is the case with snakes, I usually lean towards the smaller numbers. In captivity, expect the average male to go 6-7 feet, and 7-8 feet for the female with outliers at 8-10 feet respectively. There are reports of 13 feet, but I doubt it. Girth wise, they are probably the heaviest boa. They aren't like a blood python, but not far off it either.

Yes she was arboreal. The animal we saw was quite large and just had shed. She was very calm as well. I was able to touch her. She did not flee fast but as it was too much for her she seeked some distance.

And yes the trip was a blast. Madagascar was plain and simple the most awesome place i ever visited
Old 05-20-16, 01:53 PM   #13
kovacs01

If only I didnt have a nice boaphile terrestrial setup. I would much rather have an arboreal one now that I know. They are so much better in terms of display and actually watching the animal.

Maybe it is an excuse to buy an arboreal setup and use the terrestrial one for a truly ground dwelling species........anyone know where to get wood boas, preferably the bahamian variety (T. canus)?
Old 05-20-16, 03:37 PM   #14
kovacs01

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickT View Post
what does "herp" world mean?

You´ve got herpes?
From the Wikis:

Herpetology (from Greek "herpien" meaning "to creep") is the branch of zoology concerned with the study of amphibians (including frogs, toads, salamanders, newts, and caecilians (gymnophiona)) and reptiles (including snakes, lizards, amphisbaenids, turtles, terrapins, tortoises, crocodilians, and the tuataras). Batrachology is a further subdiscipline of herpetology concerned with the study of amphibians alone.
Old 05-20-16, 03:51 PM   #15
trailblazer295

Quote:
Thanks Patrick! Your picture is awesome, and that looks like it was an amazing trip. It now makes my wish, though, that I did not have a strictly terrestrial setup. From your picture, it seems that "ground" boa might be a misnomer, and that they are semi-arboreal. That is basically how I got environmental data for them,

Very cool, a boa like that that also climbs would be a great addition to any collection. I agree it's a good excuse to get or build a more aboreal setup. Would make an excellent display cage. Keep us updated with pictures. Don't think those rare boas come up here.
Closed Thread