PDA

View Full Version : killing prety

jlax786
04-05-05, 10:20 PM
iv never owned a snake before and im curiose to know how to kill his prey for him....im not to thrilled about doing this, but if i have to whats a good way? also is it really that bad just to toss them in alive?

Wizwise2000
04-05-05, 11:24 PM
You could take the rodent by the tail and whack it off the table. Could use Co2, but whacking it off something is the easiest way.
I think anyways:)

Yes it's a bad thing to feed them alive. The prey can attack and sometimes kill the animal.

Hope this helps,
Shane

Jeff_Favelle
04-06-05, 12:08 AM
Buy F/T items from a RODENT SUPPLIER.

Ray
04-06-05, 12:29 AM
Yes it's a bad thing to feed them alive. The prey can attack and sometimes kill the animal.

Hope this helps,
Shane [/B][/QUOTE]

Why is it bad to feed live rodents??I never had any problem with feeding live rats.In the wild they feed also on live rodens.
Don't get me rong here.But i don't know what the problem is??

nita
04-06-05, 10:00 AM
Ray, i have fed some of mine live because they would refuse to eat dead and thankfully never had a problem but I've seen snakes that have been seriously hurt and killed due to being eaten by their dinner. If you feed live there is a proper way to do it. Restrained being the best option. Many of the large breeders though with upwards in the hundreds of BP's do not feed dead prey, in the snakekeepers video they place a live rat into a bin and close it, I actually backed it up to see again cause I couldn't believe they were feeding live unattended. I do see how much easier it would be to feed large numbers of snakes live rather than having to thaw out 300 rats only to have 1/2 refuse or having to thaw out more later. When i have to feed live I either feed restrained or sit over the open bin ready to snatch out the mouse if a problem occurs. Currently everyone eats FT though but it took 2 yrs with 3 of them to make that switch.

Ray
04-06-05, 11:06 AM
Ok Nita your right.But if you have 2 ore 4 B.p it's no problem to stay and watch while your b.p is eating . When you have 40 B.p than you have bigger problem with feeding your snakes.Your right about feeding live rodens. You must stay and watch at all times while feeding your snake live rodents.I Always watch until he/she has killed the rat.Than i'll know it's ok.
my female strikes so fast the rat doesnt have a clue what happened.lol.

Ray.

BP-R-US
04-06-05, 12:10 PM
I have 2 BP's that will only take live rats, no matter what I try. But as said before, you have to stay and watch over the snake to make sure nothing happens. I also try not to fed full grown rats, I would rather fed 2-3 Mediums then 1 large. Just less chance of the rat fighting back.

Sil

smeagel
04-06-05, 12:25 PM
I actually watched that ball python breeding video the other day again and I was also surprised to see the Sutherlands feeding live, but I also understand the reasoning behind it with the amount of snakes they have.

Ray: Yes they feed on live in the wild, but the snake also has the option of retreating if it doen't go well. There is only so far the snake can go in his or her container. But I also have a snake that came to me eating only live and I have gotten 2 F/T feedings into her. I was very lucky that I could do it so quickly.