border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Breeding / Incubation

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-03, 03:30 PM   #1
JDouglas

Finished my incubator/How to Pics

I finally finished building my incubator. After several tests and design changes I am happy with it. I have tested it repeatedly to make sure it works properly. Over the last five days it has stayed at a constant temp of 89.6F. WARNING - I have never used it to incubate eggs but hopefully will soon.

Here is a pic of what it looks like.

First I taped an 11" piece of flexwatt to the bottom of the cooler. I am using a ESU thermostat and after placing the probe in several different locations I found the place that matches the temp. What I mean is if the temp on the thermostat is set at 89F the inside of the egg chamber is at 89F. Bricks are used to make a bridge for a shelf and 1 ltr water bottles are placed in the bottom. They hold in heat and help eliminate hot spots.

Next I placed all the water bottles in the bottom and added the egg crate shelf. I tried using water and an aquarium heater in the bottom. It didn't work well. I think I had a faulty heater because the temps were very unstabe. Also after a week I could smell mildew. The water bottles allow me to add 9 liters of water to maintain temps and eliminate hot spots without worrying about mold or mildew.

For an egg chamber I used a plastic tub. 3 pieces of egg crate are stacked in the bottom and water is filled up to just past the second crate. This creates a nice layer of insulation for the eggs, holds heat, releases humidity, and helps eliminates hot spots. The eggs will be placed in the smaller dish. Notice the excess water at the bottom of the dish. If the eggs were placed directly on the crate they would be subjected to all of that moisture. I used this same egg chamber at room temps for fox snake eggs. I decided to add the dish after noticing that the bottom of my fox snake eggs ballooned up almost to the point of bursting.

After placing the egg chamber on the shelf I put on the 1/4 inch glass lid that allows me to see the eggs without opening the chamber. (opening the chamber would cause a sudden drop in temp). Two one liter bottles are added to each side of the cooler to help with heat retention. As you can see their is not much empty space in the incubator. The heater only runs in short bursts and stays off a lot longer than it is on. This is what the inside of the finished incubator looks like.

I thought about adding a computer fan to help circulate air and eliminate hot spots but hotspots don't seem to be a problem and there is simply no room for one. I also plan to connect a second thermostat to the first one in case it malfunctions. Well, tell me what you think and let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by JDouglas; 02-25-04 at 11:55 PM..
Login to remove ads
Old 10-17-03, 03:37 PM   #2
Siretsap

Very ingenious design you got there.
Will keep it in mind for my bp eggs.
Let us know how good it will work.
Old 10-17-03, 06:35 PM   #3
jay76

Send a message via MSN to jay76
I think it looks like a really good design Jaremy! That's quite a masterpiece of ingenuity - the water bottles are especially clever.

As for questions, what happened to the fox snake eggs? Did any hatch?
Old 10-17-03, 08:00 PM   #4
Jeff_Favelle

Send a message via AIM to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via MSN to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff_Favelle

That's a PERFECT monitor incubator!

I just hope it will work as well for Pythons!!
Old 10-17-03, 09:39 PM   #5
JDouglas

Quote:
As for questions, what happened to the fox snake eggs? Did any hatch?
The fox snake eggs were so bloated that when they cut the shell they really gushed out A LOT of fluid. A few I had to cut myself. I think the internal pressure was keeping them from cutting out. It was a 100% hatch and all were alive but one had its body fused togehter in the middle. It was fused about two inches below the head and about an inch above the vent making a circle with a head and a tail. It was born alive and was actually quite fiesty. It couldn't crawl well and it wouldn't eat so I had to put it down rather than let it starve to death. I wish I would have kept the pics of him. It was sad...

Last edited by JDouglas; 10-18-03 at 08:30 AM..
Login to remove ads
Old 10-17-03, 09:41 PM   #6
JDouglas

Quote:
Well maybe if it doesn't work for IJCP I will get some Ackies...
Old 10-17-03, 09:59 PM   #7
Jeff_Favelle

Send a message via AIM to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via MSN to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff_Favelle

LOL!
Old 10-17-03, 10:20 PM   #8
Will

That looks like a great design, JD. Can you fit more than one egg chamber in there, or just the one...? I suppose it wouldn't be that much more difficult to just build on a slightly larger scale if need be.

Also, Jeff F may be able to answer this one. You mentioned it'd be good for monitors, how do you think that would hold up for incubating Lampro eggs...? I'm starting to look around for ideas, but am not sure exactly what I'm looking for... If you know what I mean.
Old 10-18-03, 02:21 AM   #9
Jeff_Favelle

I'm sure it would be just fine for any colubrid eggs. Actually milk and king eggs are pretty tough to kill, so I would be surprised if that incubator didn't give you a 100% hatch rate with HEALTHY eggs.
Old 10-18-03, 09:02 AM   #10
NiagaraReptiles

Re: ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff_Favelle
Why is that?

I think you'd see a lot of full term dead in egg with that system, but that is just my opinion
Old 10-18-03, 09:37 AM   #11
Vanan

Send a message via MSN to Vanan
Quote:
I think you'd see a lot of full term dead in egg with that system, but that is just my opinion
Why would you say that? Only cos this year we did experience alot of full term deads with an incubator similar to that one. Cept ours didn't have the bottles and had a PC fan to remove hotspots.

"The day I tried to live, I wallowed in the blood and mud with all the other pigs" - C. Cornell
Old 10-18-03, 10:08 AM   #12
Scales Zoo
Please Email Boots

Jeff, it seems you aren't sure about python eggs in that incubator, why is that?

Ryan
Old 10-18-03, 10:24 AM   #13
Vanan

Send a message via MSN to Vanan
Ryan, it seems that you aren't sure about Jeff being sure about python eggs in that incubator. Why is that?

"The day I tried to live, I wallowed in the blood and mud with all the other pigs" - C. Cornell
Old 10-18-03, 10:46 AM   #14
Jeff_Favelle

'Cause you'll be back to playing the moisture game with the substrate (perlite or vermiculite). That's why I switched to no-substrate 7 years ago.
Old 10-18-03, 10:49 AM   #15
NiagaraReptiles

Vanan,

Specifically in reference to Ackie eggs, that system would make for way too much humidity for one, and also create several opportunites for air presssure problems/changes.......small monitor eggs really don't have much forgiveness in that department.

Just my opinion though......
Closed Thread